Author Topic: i.MX RT 1062 Stock available to uTasker users  (Read 2235 times)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
i.MX RT 1062 Stock available to uTasker users
« on: March 07, 2023, 07:55:09 PM »
Hi All

Note that the chip shortage has resulted in the uTasker project investing in the following chips, which are reserved for uTasker users and available at reduced prices (in comparison to distributors):

IMXRT1062DVL6B - commercial
IMXRT1062CVL5B  - industrial

These are 10mmx10mm 196 pin BGA with full features (2 x Ethernet, 2 x USB ,1Meg RAM, TFT display interface) and footprint compatible (and code 99% compatible) with i.MX RT 1051/52/61/62 and are useful for porting Kinetis projects to (they can also be used in place of i.MX RT 1064 as long as there is a QSPI flash connected)). With 600MHz zero wait state operation (up to 1.2G instructions per second) they are FAST as well. As well as having very high compatibility with Kinetis the uTasker project makes it simple to port from Kinetis projects and, with the chip stock, can ensure that supplies are immediately available when needed (some parts still have over a year delivery time otherwise).

The small BGA was chosen after experimentation with soldering (also hand soldering) and layout with 4-layer boards. Reference designs and guidance is thus available for those unsure about using BGAs, whereby it can be stated that they are not as difficult to work with as initially feared and result in small, reliable circuity.

There are good stocks available for immediate delivery or reservation, whereby each new project can order/reserve up to 1'200 pieces at the moment. (Quantities of up to 10'000 are possible for immediate delivery but only under exceptional circumstances since it is preferred to supply as many new projects as possible).

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 01:08:00 AM by mark »

Offline LuisHS

• View Profile
Re: i.MX RT 1062 Stock available to uTasker users
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 12:54:57 PM »

Hi

In order to route all the ports of this microcontroller with pitch 0.65mm, is a 4-layer PCB enough or may more layers be needed?

So far I have only used 1mm pitch BGA microcontrollers with the Kinetis MK66, and 0.8mm pitch with the RT1064. With the RT1064 it's already costing me enough to be able to route a good number of ports for a project, and that with a pitch of 0.8mm, and 4 PCB layers.

Working with PCBs with 6 layers or more, and with such small vias for that 0.65mm pitch can already make the PCB quite expensive.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: i.MX RT 1062 Stock available to uTasker users
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 10:41:32 PM »
Hi

The 0.65mm pitch part is designed/intended for 4 layer boards and the NXP EVKs are 4-layer designs allowing all pins to be used and also (according to them) passes FCC tests.

The only drawback is that some room around the device is needed for fan-out of the signal lines when many are used and when some GPIOs are not needed that means that it can be packed tighter together. See the attached screen shot of the chip on the NXP layout.  6-layer board would probably alleviate this.

NXP also has a detailed design guide at https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/i-mx-rt-crossover-mcus/i-mx-rt1050-crossover-mcu-with-arm-cortex-m7-core:i.MX-RT1050 "i.MX RT Hardware Development Guide for the MIMXRT1050/MIMXRT1060 Processor" - requires a log-in.

It is undeniable that more board layers and working with finer pitches and smaller holes will increase the price of a PCB and it is up to the designer to decide on such tradeoffs. However, in comparison to a K66, which - if it can be found and purchased at its normal price - tends to be much more expensive than an i.MX RT 10xx - maybe in the order of $10..15 and, coupled with much more peripherals and performance even paying more for a PCB should result in a cheaper (and potentially) better product.

I have also attached a screen shot of one of my designs where I use 77 ports/GPIO plus 1 x USB.

Regards

Mark