Author Topic: KDS build for FRDM-KL25Z - uTasker Serial Boot  (Read 6603 times)

Offline Radu Toma

• View Profile
KDS build for FRDM-KL25Z - uTasker Serial Boot
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:12:32 PM »
Hi there,

I had some troubles getting the uTaskerSerialBoot to run on my FRDM-KL25Z. This is my first project with uTasker I would like to share the steps I've done so far:

1. Downloaded and installed KDS version 3.2
2. Downloaded and Unzip uTaskerKinetisV1.4.11
3. Followed the steps for KDS found here: http://www.utasker.com/kinetis/compilers.html#KDS in getting the right project files.
   - delete .settings folder and all .* files and copy the .settings and all .* files from \Applications\uTaskerV1.4\KinetisDesignStudio\Project_Settings
4. Import project into KDS
5. Change the Project settings for displaying the active files belonging to the project. Instructions found here: http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=1887.0 . This is very important step and missing from documentation. Also being new to Eclipse development type environment I was not aware of it.
6. In config.h I un-commented FRDM_KL25Z and commented FRDM_K64F.
7. Select cortex-m0plus is selected in Project Properties->Target Processor -> ARM family
8. Linker modified to: "${uTaskerLinkerScripts}/KL_128_16.ld"
9. Project Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Build Steps tab
    add a quotation mark ( " )  character at the end of the command path
    => it will generate the .bin/.srec/.hex files
10. Triggered Built with option : uTaskerSerialLoader_FLASH

At the moment the on-board 3 colour LED is flashing GREEN and there is a serial communication via the Virtual COM port.

Many thanks for your time!
Radu
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:33:24 PM by Radu Toma »

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: KDS build for FRDM-KL25Z - uTasker Serial Boot
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:09:04 PM »
Hi Radu

All of the steps that you performed are correct - step 5 is not absolutely necessary because it builds the correct target - just the files that are shown greyed by Eclipse are not correct.

If the green LED flashes at 5Hz and you have text output on the UART all looks good.

Can you describe the problem that you may still have? Is it that the loader type is not what you want - eg. SD card or USB? The define settings for the various options are in the serial loader document.

Regards

Mark

Offline Radu Toma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:55:46 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the message. There is no issue at the moment. Everything looks good. I'm making my way through the serial loader document at the moment.

step 5 is not absolutely necessary because it builds the correct target - just the files that are shown greyed by Eclipse are not correct
I just spent quite a lot of time figuring out why the assembler was giving out an error at compile time. Eventually I came to realize that I was editing the wrong "config.h" file.  :o So I was editing the config.h file in the uTaskerv1.4 rather than the one in uTaskerSerialBoot. The reason, as you said, was the files greyed out folders in Eclipse are not correct. Once I came to realize that I made the correct change and everything started working. :)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »
Radu

I can see that there could be confusion when the incorrect config.h file is edited.

What I have done to aid in avoiding this potential problem is to create a new video showing the steps to check-out from the GIT repository (for registered user with GIT access), through importing to KDS and correcting the various KDS difficulties.

This new video can be found at https://youtu.be/K8ScSgpgQ6M

Regards

Mark

Offline Radu Toma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 05:42:23 PM »
Good video! Thank you Mark!