Author Topic: µTasker simulator for regression tester?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline wolfv

• View Profile
µTasker simulator for regression tester?
« on: March 09, 2017, 07:21:20 PM »
Hello µTaskers.  I have read the µTasker literature and have a project-feasibility question.

I want to write a regression tester for some firmware compiled on Arduino IDE, for Teensy LC.
Here is how the tester would work:
 1) The regression tester sends a test case (input) to the simulator.
 2) Simulator runs the test case on the firmware.
 3) Simulator returns result (output) to the regression tester.
 4) Regression tester compares simulator result to expected result.

Is µTasker simulator suitable for such a regression tester?

Thank you.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: µTasker simulator for regression tester?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:59:46 PM »
Hi

The uTasker simulator supports script files that are useful for playing in standard sequences (eg. Ethernet, UART, port pin changes). It has a few outputs (like UART and Ethernet) which can be recorded. This means that it should be possible to enter pre-defined sequences and compare the output(s) with expected results. This may require the SW sending some information (eg. using printf() type output so that relevant data can be collected).

However the question is whether you can run the code that you require to test in the environment? If it is general code you can put it, for example, into a task and test it like that. If it is using Arduino peripheral interfaces that require to be tested it may not operate immediately since they will lack the hooks needed by the simulator.

It is probably best to try running the uTasker project in the simulator to get a better idea of its operation. Then experiment with integrating the code (or parts of code) that you need to test. You may quickly find that it will be OK or maybe you will also see some complications. I can't say which will result at the moment since I don't know the code in question.

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:18:03 PM by mark »