Author Topic: GLCD on SPI (SSD2119 display driver IC)  (Read 14208 times)

Offline PunKidd

• View Profile
GLCD on SPI (SSD2119 display driver IC)
« on: November 29, 2011, 06:03:34 PM »
I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.  I'm connecting a display that uses the SSD2119 driver IC that is used in the tower GLCD module.  I'm connecting it to a M52259EVB board via SPI.  I see where to configure the data and control pins for parallel bus mode, but where can I configure the SPI when using serial mode?  I want to set it up so the last CS is used for the display so I can have flash on the first 3 chip selects. 

Any nudge in the right direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: GLCD on SPI (SSD2119 display driver IC)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:23:51 PM »
Hi

There is only one project that uses SPI mode and that is for the ST-Micro STM32F107 evaluation board. The Coldfire project uses always the FlexBus.

I would suggest the following:

1) Seach the uGLCDLIB files for MB785_GLCD_MODE. Then you can see which interface code is being used - for example the routines fnWriteGLCD_data_pair(), fnConcludeGRAMwrite() etc. You will see that with this configuration the commands are sent via SPI. The actual low-level code will not match the Freescale though.

2) It is possible that the actual LCD commands are not the same since the TFT may have a different controller. This shouldn't be important though since the code communicating via FlexBus is probably doing the correct stuff but needs to do it via SPI rather than parallel. Therefore the interface needs to be modified accordingly (each parallel access needs to use a corresponding SPI access function).

3) Since you are using Flash on the QSPI you shouldn't need to have to initialise the QSPI since the flash initialisation will already do this.

4) Once the commands are using the SPI calls rather than the parallel calls you can then modify these low level functions to write and read the data as the QSPI does it. The SPI Flash driver code shows how to do this.

Good luck.

Regards

Mark

Offline PunKidd

• View Profile
Re: GLCD on SPI (SSD2119 display driver IC)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:00:43 PM »
Oops.  I must have misunderstood something you said in the other thread about the supported controller ICs when I was picking a display & driver.

I think I'll just work on wiring it up to the flex bus for the time being.

Thanks!