Author Topic: Symantec/Norton considers uTaskerCombine a threat  (Read 3701 times)

Offline JohnH

• View Profile
Symantec/Norton considers uTaskerCombine a threat
« on: December 17, 2017, 03:01:23 AM »
may be excessive caution on their part, but:

Filename: utaskercombine.exe
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1Full Path: c:\users\john\documents\workprojects\handydaq\utasker-git-kinetis\tools\utaskercombine.exe

On computers as of 
12/16/2017 at 7:42:15 PM

Last Used 
12/16/2017 at 7:44:14 PM

Startup Item 
No

Launched 
No

Threat type: Insight Network Threat. There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe

utaskercombine.exe Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
Locate

Very Few Users
Fewer than 5 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week  ago.

Medium
This file risk is medium.

Source: External Media

Source File:
utaskercombine.exe

File Actions

File: c:\users\john\documents\workprojects\handydaq\utasker-git-kinetis\tools\ utaskercombine.exe Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
b1b86e60b6fbb6c604f60e53916536932aeebaf1fd19091f02ff58942dc25a02
File Thumbprint - MD5:
4ba7323d25adbcc417cde5200051e635

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Symantec/Norton considers uTaskerCombine a threat
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 04:49:11 AM »
Hi John

I don't think that there is anything that can be done about this - the tools was first release < 2009 (not just a week ago) [http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=1445.0] and is just a standard small program that reads a couple of files as input and copies the results to an output file. Therefore I don't know where Norton gets the info from or whether it has any relevance.

There are other .exe file in the same folder which are similar and so I would expect those to also be tagged as potential threats, even if they aren't.

I never heard of such an occurrence before, but, if anyone is really worried about these .exe file on their PCs I can send then the source code so that the can generate them themselves (using Visual Studio) after studying the code and convincing themselves that there is nothing in them that is doing anything evil ;-)

Regards

Mark