Author Topic: Exception Vector Name: Address Error  (Read 15658 times)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
Exception Vector Name: Address Error
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:01:07 PM »
Having gone through the simulated Demo board portion of the tutorial, I'm now starting with the actual Demo board version of the tutorial, using version 1.3 of Freescale's CodeWarrior.  I've used this software extensively with the Freescale WebServer example, but I can't get it to work with the uTasker example. I can erase and program and verify the chip on the Demo board, but as soon as I try to run the program, I get an error that reads "Exception Vector Name: Address Error".  There is a reference to DummyFn1, which shows up in the Maps but nowhere in the code.  I'm not sure it's the source of the error. In any case, I have no idea how to proceed from here and would appreciate whatever help you can give.
Thanks.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Exception Vector Name: Address Error
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 10:33:50 PM »
Hi

It may be an idea to verify the download process by using a pre-built code (there is a proven one at http://www.utasker.com/software/software.html which will run on the M52233DEMO or M52235EVB).
Since you do have experience it is however more probable that it is a build problem.

You wrote CW1.3 but I am assuming you meant to write CW6.3.

1. Ensure that you are building the project "M5223XEVB_ROM" and not the "bare_min_app_rom" since this will only work together with the boot loader project.

2. Download and connect to the debugger.

Download \Applications\uTaskerV1.3\CodeWarrior_M5223X\uTaskerV1.3\bin\uTasker_full.elf.S19 and not \Applications\uTaskerV1.3\CodeWarrior_M5223X\uTaskerV1.3\bin\uTasker_BM.elf.S19!!

The debugger will try to run to main() but if there is no program or other serious error it will immediately give the address exception error message (pop-up).

3. In this case close the pop-up and look at the processor registers (D0..D7 A0..A7, PC, SP).
If for example there is no programm loaded you will usually see SP = BEEF (dead beef  = invalid pointer).
PC will probably be 0x0000000c.

4. Check the FLASH memory content by displaying the memory at 0x00000000. In the source window right click and command "View memory".
If everything is 0xffffffff then there is no code loaded - or the bare_minimum_project has been loaded - this begins at 0x800 so you can look at 0x800 to see whether this is the case.

5. Assuming you have a program loaded, the memory will look like this:

6. You can set a break point at the address 0x00000008 to stop program runaway (only when the first two locations are correct since second is the address which is loaded to the PC when it starts). The debugger will immediately stop and then you can step through the code to see how far it gets before crashing.

My feeling is that the FLASH memory is not correct (note that project can not run from SRAM because there is too little SRAM in the chip) and once you have found out why it will then work correctly.

Good luck

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 01:46:16 PM by mark »

Offline Richard

• View Profile
Re: Exception Vector Name: Address Error
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 12:01:06 AM »
You wrote CW1.3 but I am assuming you meant to write CW6.3.

You're right, 6.3 (I was focusing on the 3, since I've recently downloaded but not installed 6.4).

1. Ensure that you are building the project "M5223XEVB_ROM" and not the "bare_min_app_rom" since this will only work together with the boot loader project.

OH! Again, you're right! I had the wrong project -- didn't realize there was more than one.

Thanks.  That solves the problem.

- Richard