Author Topic: M522XX Service Pack SP9 with Kirin3 support  (Read 10819 times)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
M522XX Service Pack SP9 with Kirin3 support
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:32 PM »
Hi All

Please note that service pack 9 is now available on the service pack page: http://www.utasker.com/software/softwareV1.3.html

It contains all new M5225X Kirin3 code and demos, plus GCC project support also for the uTasker boot loader. The boot loader project now also contains a simulator project, allowing easier checking of project configuration for use together with the boot loader.

Please report any difficulties or questions in this thread.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mark

Patch List
=======

1) When removing the demo UART but using serial and USB the following change should be made to avoid a linker error:
In usb_application.c change:

#ifdef SERIAL_INTERFACE
    fnSetNewSerial();
#endif

to

#if defined SERIAL_INTERFACE && defined DEMO_UART
    fnSetNewSerial();
#endif

See Karl's full report and examples at http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0

2) Please note that the uTasker conversion utility is included in the Codewarrior and also GNU project directories. This is used to convert binary files for firmware uploads to a suitable format (optionally encrypted). It also handles Motorola binary (which contains blocks of binary with address headers).
The version in the Codewarrior binary directory is V1.4 but the version in the GNU directory is V1.2. V1.2 can make errors with the Motorola binary files and also with large general binary files and so should not be used. Please overwrite the V1.2 in the GNU directory if you are working with GNU.
If you need to check the version call the converter utility with "uTaskerConvert -v".
The correct version returns:  uTaskerConvert V1.4 - supporting encryption and Motorola binary format

3) The Codewarrior 7 project works correctly but has some problems with corrupted dependencies (don't know why). This means that it reports some rescued files when opened and (only the Kirin3 target) unnecessarily re-compiles when connecting to the debugger. It was not possible to identify and rectify the corruption that had taken place so a previous version has been regenerated which doesn't suffer from the problem.
This can be obtained from http://www.uTasker.com/software/V1.3/uTaskerV1.3_Codewarrior_sp9.zip
Simply exchange this against the content in the folder \Application\uTaskerV1.3\ CodeWarrior_M5223X\  ...put it here to ensure that all targets behave correctly.

4) There is an error in the TX operation of UART2 when it is used in DMA mode. If UART0 is also enabled it may cause corruption of UART0 data but if UART0 is not enabled it will give an exception at the end of transmission.
The correction is in
static __interrupt__ void _DMA2_Tx_handler(void)
{
    UCR_0 = UART_TX_DISABLE;                                             // disable tx
}

This should be
    UCR_2 = UART_TX_DISABLE;                                             // disable tx (on UART2 and not UART0)

5) Not an error but an optimization possibility when working with USB: see http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=548.0.

6) When running the RTC from the main crystal oscillator, and using PLL (not 32kHz crystal as possible with some devices) there is a frequency correction here: http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=550.0

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:31:07 PM by mark »

Offline kbw

• View Profile
Re: M522XX Service Pack SP9 with Kirin3 support
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:54:14 AM »
Hi Mark

did you intend not to correct the issue with DEMO_UART
described in , http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0 ?

Regards
Karl

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:18:20 AM »
Hi Karl

I corrected this in the master version but the SP9 is taken from the Kirin3 pack (dated 16.2.2009), which has the DEMO_UART issue. I known that I could have corrected it in the SP9 but then it wouldn't have been the same version as the Kirin3 pack and could have caused other confusion.

Therefore I think that is is best to have one version, which is handled by a single patch list. I have put the DEMO_UART issue on the patch list and also a link to the original thread so that there is a central thread for all known (the list tends to grow slightly as the package is used more) patches.

Regards

Mark

Offline Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 04:04:55 AM »
Hi, Mark.

So far as I can tell, nowhere in any file is there an indication of what level of service pack it represents.  I think it'd be a big help if at least the config.h file had "SP9" or "SP 9" in it somewhere.  In fact, if each file indicated, somewhere in its header information, the last service pack in which it was altered, it'd make keeping up with changes a bit easier for those of us who have to make individual alterations to some of the distributed files.  It might also make it easier to pinpoint possible causes of questions and bug reports.  A user may think he's using SP8 but really have only SP7.

Cheers,
    Richard

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »
Hi Richard

Thanks for the feedback.
I will try to improve this fro the next SP release.
In the meantime (although a bit more work) the release notes can be used to see where the changes begin and end:

Example for the M5223X SP9 for uNetwork.c

\uTasker\uNetwork.c
   09.06.2008 uNetwork Broadcast address made definable                  {6}
   02.07.2008 Add fnResetuNetwork_stats()                                {7}

Here it is possible to see that modifications 6 and 7 are specific to SP9.

Regards

Mark

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:13:24 PM »
Hi Richard

Can you check whether using the SP release notes the information is adequate to maintain individual file alterations?

The reason is that I have taken a closer look and the problem is that many files are shared between targets (only the hardware ones are actually unique to a certain processor). This means that a certain modification (eg. uNetwork.c) will be valid from SP3 in the SAM7X project, SP9 in the Coldfire project, etc...). This makes it very difficult to manage a single header since it will then need information about each processor package, or else it will be necessary to have a different version for each processor package, which will make administration much more complicated (and risk of errors higher).

As you see, each modification is included in the release notes to a SP, including date, a short description and also references to the code locations. This may already be adequate to maintain also your own modifications to such files.

regards

Mark

Offline Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 07:32:11 PM »
Hi, Mark.

I've looked only at the M5223X releases, so I haven't had to consider the full range of problems.  However, if I understand your message, the identical file might appear in SP9 for the M5223X but SP3 of the SAM7X releases.

My initial thought was to simply increment the SP number by one with each release, so if SAM7X is now at SP3, with M5223X at SP9 being the most recent service pack, the next release, e.g., SAM7X, would be SP10.  I suspect that mightn't go over well with your various (mostly disjoint) groups of users: who wants to go from SP3 to SP10, anyway?

But how about build or revision numbers?  Those wouldn't have to be sequential.  I use SVN (with the TortoiseSVN interface -- very nice!) with a single repository for several projects.  Since the revision number increases by one with every commit, regardless of project, the revision number for any single project can have a large jump from one commit to the next, because the intermediate numbers correspond to other projects.  The tags, however, are simply labels, under my control, so they can increase any way I want, like product version numbers (when does a project go from version 2 to version 3 instead of 2.1?) or like service pack numbers.

If you used a similar scheme, a revision number in the header of each file that you incremented whenever you made a change to the file, then a text file (e.g., the release notes) could list the revision number of each included file.

Another possibility, with several benefits, one of which would be automating the revision number for each file: You could put the uTasker project into an SVN repository.  Then service pack releases could be marked by tags.  Licensed users would be able to download from the repository with a password. 

Unfortunately, I haven't thought about the problem long enough or hard enough to find the "best, right way" to submit an entire CW project to SVN, so I simply put my sources (the files in ...\Applications\uTaskerV1.3 and its subdirectories) into SVN.  For uTasker, you'd have to have a better, more comprehensive plan.  If you do decide to go this route, you'd do us all a great service if you posted the details of the configuration of SVN that you used to control CW projects.

I also haven't thought about how to coordinate downloading a service pack from one repository and combining those files with the files in my own, separate SVN repository.  It might be more delicate than it appears.

By the way, a side effect of all this discussion is that I discovered I'm already using SP8, not SP7 as I reported in another recent post!

Cheers,
    Richard

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 08:22:30 PM »
Hi Richard

Thanks for the ideas.

I will see what I can do ready for the next SP.

Regards

Mark