Author Topic: Use the MCF52233 DEMO BOARD debugger for your custom circuit  (Read 15780 times)

Offline fabio

• View Profile
    • bandaspilamberto
Use the MCF52233 DEMO BOARD debugger for your custom circuit
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »
Perhaps this is obvious, but I have made this little discovery and I hope to help some students that cannot spend much money..
I have bought the MCF52233 DEMO BOARD for 90€.
In this board there is a full MCF52233 system plus a USB-BDM debugger.
If you buy only this USB-BDM debugger from the producer, certanly it has a more beautifull package.. but you pay 250€ !!

If you want use this onboard BDM with your custom circuit (instead of the demo board) it is sufficient:
1- weld few wires from the 26 pin BDM connector on the Demo board to the BDM interface of your circuit
2- Instead of EDSI on the BDM you have to find and connect the TDI/SDI
3- cut the jumper CT1-6 on the demo board to isolate the micro on the demo board.

It is incredible that the USB-BDM plus a Demo board cost much less than the only USB-BDM

bye
Fabio

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Use the MCF52233 DEMO BOARD debugger for your custom circuit
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 08:41:35 PM »
Hi Fabio

It is always cheaper to buy development tools in a kit, as shown by the following comparison:

If you buy a J-Link JTAG debugger from the manufacturer (Segger) it costs about $327. To use if together with Eclipse it needs a GDB server SW which costs an extra $261 - this makes $588.

The same is sold by ATMEL with their development boards (with the name ATMEL SAM-ICE JTAG on it) for $129 including the GDB server license...

To the Coldfire ones - the Freescale demo boards are always a good buy since you really do get everything you need to get started - from demo board, in-circuit BDM and a good compiler [128k limited] and debugger.
Also the EVBs are worth their money (although more expensive than the demo boards). They usually cost around $299..$399 but include a complete P&E USB debugger. When I received a M52223EVB (the USB chip) it was also delivered with a book called "Coldfire Microprocessors and Microcontrollers" by Munir Bannoura, Rudan Bettelheim and Richard Soja which retails at about $90.

Freescale originally did a seminar tour when the M5223X was released, where the visitors received a DEMO board, a seminar on the new device and lunch for about $90.

Regards

Mark

Offline ewan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:39:34 PM »
Fabio,

Am I correct that all you need are VCC3.3, GND, TMS, TRST*, TDO, TCLK, TDI? or do I need RSTI* too.

Thanks,

Ewan.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:50:47 AM »
Hi, all.

A low cost BDM for Coldfire is the AxBDM-CF, made by Axiom Manufacturing, the same people who make the M52233DEMO board.  For some reason, it's not well advertised, but you can find it at http://www.axman.com/node/303.  It costs US $99 + shipping.

Best regards,
    Richard
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:39:00 AM by Richard »

Offline ewan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:01:30 AM »
Richard,

Thanks for a good link.

Regards,

Ewan.

Offline m_mikula

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
Hi,

RSTI is very important, we spend more time while we findout a problem... Now our full BDM interface have 10pins and everithing works great... If you want, I can upload some images and schemes(with complete pinouts for BDM cable)...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:36:10 PM by m_mikula »

Offline ZeroOne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »
Hi m_mikula

If the offer is still up, and not to much trouble, I would like you to upload the schematics with pinoutfor the BDM interface you mention.

Thank You

Kim