Author Topic: LPC17XX Preliminary Information  (Read 37381 times)

Offline jezc

• View Profile
Re: LPC17XX Preliminary Information
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 12:46:05 PM »
Hi Mark,

I can't find a project for IAR (v4 or v5) in the beta of LPC17xx that I downloaded...I can see the folders for GNU/Rowley/uVision etc.

Is there any support for IAR (preferably v5 but I do still have v4.42 installed as well)? I think you had a bit of a fight with the i76 file back in March...

Cheers,
    Jez

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »
Hi Jez

I have just sent you the IAR5 project (there will be no IAR4 project).

I believe that I added it at the end of January 2010 (presumably tested but I don’t remember the details). This was probably just after the Beta version was made so not in the package.

Copy the folder to the directory \Applications\uTaskerV1.4

Good luck

Regards

Mark

Offline jezc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 01:01:06 PM »
Hi Mark,

No problem re there being no IAR v4 project - v5 is my preference anyway  ;D

Ok, got the project file & copied into the existing file/folder structure.

I've tried compiling it for both the Olimex (LPC1766) & Keil (LPC1768) boards by changing config.h (#ifdef _LPC17XX) but both are giving an error "Error[Ta058]:ARM mode is not available in this core"

The first case for this is in LPC17XX.x, at line168
extern __interrupt void _start(void);

The problems mostly seem to relate to the use of __interrupt

Have I missed a change I need to make in config.h (or elsewhere)? I can see this being defined around line 54 in LPC17XX.c and if I change it so that the __arm is omitted (as for the non-IAR compiler case) that gets rid of the error re ARM mode.

That then leaves me with 5 other errors:-

Warning[Pe111]: statement is unreachable C:\Downloads\uTasker\uTaskerV1.4B_LPC17XX\Hardware\LPC17XX\LPC17XX.c 300
Error[Pe513]: a value of type "void (__interwork __irq *)(void)" cannot be assigned to an entity of type "void (*)(void)" C:\uTaskerV1.4B_LPC17XX\Hardware\LPC17XX\LPC17XX.c 523
Error[Pe167]: argument of type "void (__interwork __irq *)(void)" is incompatible with parameter of type "void (*)(void)" C:\uTaskerV1.4B_LPC17XX\Hardware\LPC17XX\LPC17XX.c 1467
Error[Pe167]: argument of type "void (__interwork __irq *)(void)" is incompatible with parameter of type "void (*)(void)" C:\uTaskerV1.4B_LPC17XX\Hardware\LPC17XX\LPC17XX.c 1470
Error[Pe167]: argument of type "void (__interwork __irq *)(void)" is incompatible with parameter of type "void (*)(void)" C:\uTaskerV1.4B_LPC17XX\Hardware\LPC17XX\LPC17XX.c 1473
Error[Pe167]: argument of type "void (__interwork __irq *)(void)" is incompatible with parameter of type "void (*)(void)" C:\uTaskerV1.4B_LPC17XX\Hardware\LPC17XX\LPC17XX.c 1476
Error while running C/C++ Compiler

I'm presuming that there's a similar change required to remove the interwork mode (which I think is an ARM/Thumb mode, not available for Thumb2 as used by Cortex-M3 ?) but I've not found this one yet.

Cheers,
    Jez

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
Hi Jez

I just looked into the state of the Beta and confirm the compiler errors.

To get around the first problem simply define

#define __interrupt

__interrupt is never needed with the Cortex M3

In the Beta version there is still the following:

#if defined COMPILE_IAR || defined COMPILE_KEIL
    #if defined COMPILE_IAR
        #define __interrupt   __irq __arm
    #else
        #define __interrupt   __irq
        #define __root
    #endif
#else
    #define __interrupt
    #define __root
#endif

This can be deleted since it is otherwise setting the __irq __arm, which is invalid for IAR and the Cortex M3.

There is however another problem due to the way that IAR works. Looking in my notes I found that we discussed this back in January in private email exchanges when I was making the IAR5 adaptations. I have copied this here (check your mail from 29.1.2010 for the original. With this it compiles and links so there is still hope for your Keil board ;-)

Regards

Mark

I now have a compatible solution for the IAR checksum case.

In lpc17xx.h

typedef struct stVECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM
{
    RESET_VECTOR  reset_vect;
    unsigned long ulDummyNMI;
    unsigned long ulDummyHardFault;
    unsigned long ulDummyMemMan;
    unsigned long ulDummyBusFault;
    unsigned long ulDummyUsageFault;
#ifndef COMPILE_IAR5
    unsigned long ulLPC1XXX_CS;
#endif
} VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM;

In lpc17xx.c

// The initial stack pointer and PC value - this is linked at address 0x00000000
//
#if defined COMPILE_IAR5
__root const VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM __vector_table @ ".intvec"               // __root forces the function to be linked in IAR project
#elif defined COMPILE_IAR
__root const VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM reset_vect @ "RESETVECT"                 // __root forces the function to be linked in IAR project
#elif defined _GNU
const VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM __attribute__((section(".vectors"))) reset_vect
#elif defined _COMPILE_KEIL
__attribute__((section("RESET"))) const VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM reset_vect
#else
const VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM reset_vect
#endif
= {
    {
        (void *)(RAM_START_ADDRESS + SIZE_OF_RAM),                       // stack pointer to top of RAM
        (void (*)(void))START_CODE,                                      // start address
    },
    0x53415475,                                                          // dummy vector values (for recognition)
    0x2052454b,
    0x3143504c,
    0x20585858,
    0x2e522e43,
#ifndef COMPILE_IAR5
    0xffffffff,                                                          // blank for check sum
#endif
};

#if defined COMPILE_IAR5
    __root const unsigned long __vector_table_0x1c @ ".intvec" = 0xffffffff;
#endif

This allows the .icf file to be left as it was. Since the IAR linker finds the variable __vector_table_0x1c at the correct location it then fills it out correctly.

Below is a copy of my developer’s log in case you need more background info.

Reset and Interrupt vectors
The reset is slightly different in comparison to the LPC2XXX. The first location in FLASH is the initial value of the Stack pointer and the second is the PC value to be loaded. Following this there are interrupt vectors similar to the ARM7 (although not identical). To get an idea of the layout the vector tables struc is shown here:

typedef struct stVECTOR_TABLE
{
    RESET_VECTOR  reset_vect;
    void  (*ptrNMI)(void);
    void  (*ptrHardFault)(void);
    void  (*ptrMemManagement)(void);
    void  (*ptrBusFault)(void);
    void  (*ptrUsageFault)(void);
    void  *ptrReserved1[4];
    void  (*ptrSVCall)(void);
    void  (*ptrDebugMonitor)(void);
    void  *ptrReserved2;
    void  (*ptrPendSV)(void);
    void  (*ptrSysTick)(void);
    PROCESSOR_IRQ processor_interrupts;                                  // length is processor specific
} VECTOR_TABLE;

After the reset vector (the initial SP and initial PC values) there are the first 5 fixed interrupt vectors. These are followed by 4 reserved locations. In a similar manner to the LPC2XXX the first of these reserved locations are used as check sum by the internal boot loader. The values of the reset vector plus the first 5 interrupt vectors are used to calculate the value that the boot loader expects to find at the first reserved location (long word addressed at 0x1c).
The Cortex M3 doesn’t need the interrupt vectors to be located here since they can be remapped to other locations; even when this is the case (as in the µTasker project) it is necessary to keep the location 0x1c free – its value is generally calculated when downloading the code. The µTasker project this uses a few fixed values, with 0xffffffff at 0x1c so that the boot’s check sum can be correctly set.

Since the Cortex M3 allows assembler code to be avoided in most situations the µTasker project also attempts to stick with this strategy wherever possible. This helps in keeping code portable and also in understanding its operation – assembler code is often specific to a particular compiler and is not always immediately understandable when written for a different compiler packages as one is used to.
The reset vector (actually a reduced version of the vector table) can be found in LPC17XX.c.

const VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM __attribute__((section(".vectors"))) reset_vect = {
    {
        (void *)(RAM_START_ADDRESS + SIZE_OF_RAM), // stack pointer to top of RAM
        (void (*)(void))START_CODE,                // start address
    },
    0x53415475,                           // dummy vector values (for recognition)
    0x2052454b,
    0x3143504c,
    0x20585858,
    0x2e522e43,
    0xffffffff,                           // blank for check sum
};

The constant table is forced to be at address 0x00000000 (section .vectors in the GCC linker script file) – this is also a bit compiler dependent but an appropriate form exists in the code to suit the supported compilers.
Since the interrupts are located in SRAM for actual use the values before the reserved location which is used as a checksum are not of importance – they are in fact ASCII for “uTASKER LPC1xxx C.S.” for recognition by a debugger. When the code is downloaded by FlashMagic or Rowley, etc. the checksum will automatically be added.
IAR is an exception since it doesn’t add the checksum automatically when it loads the code. It requires that an automated post-linking step performs it by modifying the generated file.
This is controlled by the file LPC1766.i76 in the IAR directory arm\config\devices\NXP\ which includes a direction
NXPLPCchecksum=__vector_table_0x1c:4,sum32:2;__vector_table-__vector_table+0x1B
If this is removed from the file the file can still be loaded using FlashMagic but the check sum will be missing if loaded from within IAR. If the direction is left in the linker step will fail unless it can find the location that it wants to calculate and modify.

To solve this, the following change was made to suit IAR:

#if defined COMPILE_IAR5
__root const VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM __vector_table @ ".intvec"               // __root forces the function to be linked in IAR project
#elif defined _GNU
const VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM __attribute__((section(".vectors"))) reset_vect
#elif defined _COMPILE_KEIL
__attribute__((section("RESET"))) const VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM reset_vect
#else
const VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM reset_vect
#endif
= {
    {
        (void *)(RAM_START_ADDRESS + SIZE_OF_RAM), // stack pointer to top of RAM
        (void (*)(void))START_CODE,      // start address
    },
    0x53415475,                          // dummy vector values (for recognition)
    0x2052454b,
    0x3143504c,
    0x20585858,
    0x2e522e43,
#ifndef COMPILE_IAR5
    0xffffffff,                          // blank for check sum
#endif
};
#if defined COMPILE_IAR5
    __root const unsigned long __vector_table_0x1c @ ".intvec" = 0xffffffff;
#endif

This definition of VECTOR_TABLE_MINIMUM is also modified in this case to be one long word shorter, after which the compulsory variable is positioned. This allows the check sum to be inserted by IAR during the linking phase.

Offline jezc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks - I've got the code to compile ok now, just trying to get it to load onto the Keil dev board (via the IAR debugger if possible, which we use for our own development stuff).

Think I've got it sorted - hooray : LED P2.3 is now flashing .... ;D

Now I can try and get my own development rolling on the Keil board - I'll revisit the Olimex board again later and let you know how that one goes.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers,
    Jez

Offline jezc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
Hi Mark,

I'm pleased to report that it works fine on the Olimes 1766 board as well - LED 1 flashes, LED 2 constantly on.

Any idea when the USB support may be rolled out for this (LPC17xx) family?

Cheers,
    Jez

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:11 PM »
Hi Jez

I am presently implementing MSD (Mass Storage Device) and have this essentially working on a Coldfire.

As reference, the save speed is 180kBytes/s and retrieve speed 267kBytes/s (USB full speed transfer + SPI SD card interface).

It didn't work correctly on the SAM7X (there is some data corruption when writing, which I need to solve).

I will give it a try on the LPC17XX Olimex board since this has SD card slot on SPI. If it works in interrupt mode (I know that DMA is not ready) I will send you the update so that you can see it in action (CDC and MSD). If not, I will maybe be able to estimate how much work may be needed.

Regards

Mark

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
Hi Jez

I gave it a try and I could read data from the SD card.

However I couldn't write. This means that the transfer direction from PC to the board looks to need some work. (Similar but not identical to the SAM7X case).

Give me a couple of days and I may be able to solve this. Then I can compare transfer speeds between the devices as a ball-park and I'll send you a version for your own tests.

Regards

Mark

Offline jezc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »
Hi Mark,

Sounds promising - I won't really be in a position to get to that part of the project for about a week or more, so if it's easier to aim for sometime late next week that would be fine for me!

(I'm trying to prove as much of the operation as I can on the LPC2478 at the moment & will be seeing how much works without change on the LPC176x once the basic functionality is pretty much there...)

Cheers,
    Jez