Author Topic: NEW Kirin3 Coldfire V2 family launched today  (Read 28984 times)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
NEW Kirin3 Coldfire V2 family launched today
« on: January 22, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »
Hi Coldfire fans

Today, 22nd January 2009, Freescale has announced the launch of their new Kirin3 range of Coldfire V2 MCU devices.
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MCF5225X&tid=mchb2849

These have integrated Ethernet (without PHY), USB-OTG, CAN and crypo. functions. The size of memory has also been increased in some of the members up to 64k SRAM and 512k FLASH.

See the updated device overview here:
http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=256.0

the uTasker project is ready for the new devices - a SW demo pack and new user guides can be found here:

http://www.utasker.com/kirin3.html

Regards

Mark

Offline neil

• View Profile
Re: NEW Kirin3 Coldfire V2 family launched today
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »
Hi Mark,
  That looks excellent, and solves the problem with RAM I have.

do you know if these are available now?

Regards
Neil
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:01:03 PM by neil »

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »
Hi Neil

The demo board uses the Micrel KZS8041
The EVB uses the National Semiconductor DP83640 with IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol. This is rather more expensive though...

I believe the board can be ordered now (not sure about the chips):
DEMO about $49
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=M52259DEMOKIT&parentCode=MCF5225X&fpsp=1&nodeId=0162468rH3YTLC00M95448
EVB about $299
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=M52259EVB&parentCode=MCF5225X&fpsp=1&nodeId=0162468rH3YTLC00M95448

Regards

Mark

Offline neil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »
Hi Mark,

Had a good look at these parts, and these look excellent. I wont be looking at the Luminary parts now, especially with the extra memory and Mini Flex Bus.

Regarding the USB, I see it can be programmed as Host and Slave. What I wish to do is use as a Slave to my Windows application, and occasionally switch to Host to communicate with peripherals. 

1. Is it possible to have a Host and Peripheral sockets on the board, and simply switch between them?

2.When in Slave mode to the PC, what happens if during communication with Slave (have switched from Slave to Host at this point),  the Host tries to communicate with the processor?
 I assume there wont be a problem switching from Host to Slave, as the Host starts all the communication with the peripherals?

3.If I have to communicate with a device when in Host mode, is all the features there to write my own protocol?

Neil

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:44:43 PM by neil »

Offline neil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »
Hi Mark,
 Not looking good for parts, tried to get the 52258 but the distributers got email from Freescale saying it will be May before production. Now trying 52259, heres hoping..

Neil

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »
Hi Neil

I suspect that the M52259 is the one to start with since it is the largest and thus covers all requirement (the EVB and DEMO have this on them). When other parts become more readily available you can always scale down a bit if you want.

Regards

Mark

Offline neil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »
Hi Mark,
  That sounds good, I hope to hear from the distributer on Monday. The Demo kit is available in mid Feb. so will go for that.

how do you see the USB (see question above)

Neil

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 07:40:51 PM »
Hi Neil

>>1. Is it possible to have a Host and Peripheral sockets on the board, and simply switch between them?
Check out the FSUSB11MTCX. This is a switch which allows this to be done. See also the kit here
http://www.luminarymicro.com/products/ekt-lm3s3748.html (the second side of the schematics)

>>2.When in Slave mode to the PC, what happens if during communication with Slave (have switched from Slave to Host at this point),  the Host tries to communicate with the processor?
 I assume there wont be a problem switching from Host to Slave, as the Host starts all the communication with the peripherals?

If you have 2 sockets there shouldn't be any problem. Look also at the OTG (On-The-Go) extension which defines how two OTG enabled devices negotiate the direction. The OTG is however not workable with a PC host (as far as I know) but more for connecting things like cameras to printers, etc.

>>3.If I have to communicate with a device when in Host mode, is all the features there to write my own protocol?
The uTasker project presently has device support. The device driver is in fact very class independent so all tools are available to add any new class.
The host mode will be added once the device mode has been completed on the various platforms (some only have device capabilities).
Once the host mode is complete the OTG protocol will be added to complete the support.

Note that the USB3.0 specification is now available at www.usb.org. I don't know what this means for the future but I am quite sure that USB2.0 will not be affected.

Regards

Mark

Offline neil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 07:47:57 PM »
Hi mark,

The OTG is however not workable with a PC host (as far as I know) but more for connecting things like cameras to printers, etc.

If the device is a Host and Peripheral, why cant it act as a peripheral to a pc host (communicate with it from a PC)?

Neil

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 08:13:51 PM »
Hi Neil

The OTG device can act as a device to the PC host, but it can't negotiate becoming host - this can only be done with another OTG enabled part. That is the PC host is ONLY host.

Regards

Mark

Offline neil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 08:32:16 PM »
Hi Mark,
  Thats what I meant, sorry its been a long day I never explained it right.

What I wish to do is :

1.Connect to the PC as a device and communicate with my windows application.

2.Then at times switch over (using the switch) to host mode and communicate with devices (when this part comes available).

3. Looking at the FSUSB11MTCX, I will just use an IO to switch betweenUSB socket A and B.

Is this feesable?
Neil

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 08:54:27 PM »
Neil

Yes, this looks to be no real problem.

Just remember that the host mode in the M522XX has limited host functionality - it can't do everything that a PC host can.
I haven't worked enough with host mode to say exactly what the limitations are, but if it just needs to communicate with a single device all should be fine. (Read the introduction to the USB-OTG controller to check that the example applications suit).

Regards

Mark

Offline neil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 09:42:18 PM »
Hi Mark,
  That sounds good. I have had a look at the MCF52259RM and it mentions that (on page 362) communication may be done through a Hub. So I assume multiple devices may be used through a hub?

>>1. Is it possible to have a Host and Peripheral sockets on the board, and simply switch between them?
Check out the FSUSB11MTCX. This is a switch which allows this to be done. See also the kit here
http://www.luminarymicro.com/products/ekt-lm3s3748.html (the second side of the schematics)

I couldnt find the schematic for the switch on the above link, can you check it for me?

Thanks
Neil

Offline neil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »
Hi Mark,
 At the moment I am designing on the 52235, but hopefully will move to the 52259. At the moment If I switch to the 52259, and keep the project as is, can  I assume I would have an extra (approx) 32K of heap space?

Neil

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 10:08:19 PM »
Hi Neil

Yes, the code is essentially compatible. Configuring for M5225X switches in only the new PHY code (only a few lines) and uses otherwise no more SRAM. This means that you can essentially add a new define to config.h (and PHY details to app_hw_m5223X.h) and recompile*. This will then run on the new board.

Note that the uTasker project for M5223X and CodeWarrior has the SRAM size set to 32k. This is for compatibility so that the demo project runs on all devices. You then need only to change
   ___SRAM_SIZE   = 0x00008000;
to
   ___SRAM_SIZE   = 0x00010000;
in the linker script to be able to benefit from the 64k in the M52259.

There is also a boot loader version prepared for the M5225X.

*The FLASH granularity in the M52259 is 4k, which means that you may have to change the file system configuration sightly, depending on exactly how you are using it. For example, the smallest parameter block is now 4k so the file system has to start at least 4k above the start of the parameter block (my first test resulted in the parameter block deleting the file file in FLASH before I adjusted it accordingly...).

Note that the M5225X has some new ports but others have been removed. It also has less IRQ lines. Download the SW demo pack from http://www.utasker.com/software/software.html and run the simulator executable which is included it it to see an overview of the ports and their possible peripheral functions.

Note

Regards

Mark