Author Topic: Debug settings for the Uart  (Read 8763 times)

Offline Pursuit20

• View Profile
Debug settings for the Uart
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:28:38 AM »
I am trying to follow the document "First Steps for new users" to simply put a "hello world" printout task in the supplied demo project.  I have the Eval board for the 52235.  I am not using the TCP stack so Ethernet is not defined.  I am able to compile and load on the board but nothing is coming out of port 0.  I do not see where baud rates and other settings are setup for the debug port. I want to test it by looking at hyperterminal but do not know what settings to set it up with. I do have the line #define SERIAL_INTERFACE in config.h.  Please help.  I am admittedly a newbie on any embedded OS.

Thanks,

Offline danh

• View Profile
Re: Debug settings for the Uart
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »
The default serial settings are defined in application.c, just do a search for the comment 'serial interface settings'. The defaults are 19200 8N1.

Regards,

Dan

Offline Pursuit20

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:02:10 PM »
Thanks Dan,
If it was a snake it would have bit me!

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 09:28:58 PM »
Hi

The following thread serves as a good starting point for using the UARTs:
http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=54.msg220#msg220

The project supports UARTs on all three of the interfaces on your board. Simply change DEMO_UART in app_hw_m5223x.h to the UART that you would like to be used as debug output (0, 1 or 2).

Note that there are also alternative UART pins on the device (when using smaller packages UART2 may only be available on alternative pins!) and these can be controlled also in the same file by activating the following defines as appropriate:

//#define UART1_ON_QS                                                  // alternative UART pin mapping
  //#define UART2_ON_AS                                                  // alternative UART pin mapping (set automatically with 64 and 80 pin package)
  //#define UART2_ON_UB                                                  // alternative UART pin mapping

When using the EVB, also verify that the jumpers on the board are set correctly!!

Regards

Mark