Author Topic: CW refuses to flash the uTasker demo  (Read 12390 times)

Offline marcelo_

• View Profile
CW refuses to flash the uTasker demo
« on: May 31, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »
I'm trying to program a Freescale's M52259DEMO board.
After some pitfalls with the Freescale / MQX code base, I decided to get uTasker a new and deep look.
I liked what I learned from the docs, so I tried it. First, of course, with the simulator.
When I tried to burn the demo project to the board from the Code Warrior IDE, CW complained regarding USB connection error.
And it was six times in a row, including a Windows restart.

I spent some hours searching the net regarding sudden USB errors, until I decided to test the port I was using with a pen drive, which of course went ok.
Again loaded CW and tried to burn the flash, two times, at no luck.
Suspecting some fooling, in the same CW session I closed the uTasker project, and opened another of mine, which uses the MQX code base.
Hard to believe, CW flashed it without any comment. It's obvious to me, that CW is not "seeing" some MQX signature, and refuses to flash, but pretending an error, not telling the truth.

My question is now: how to burn an uTasker project?

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: CW refuses to flash the uTasker demo
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
Hi

I never heard of CW restricting downloads to certain projects or boards.

Try carefully following the loading guide in the tutorial: http://www.utasker.com/docs/M5223X/uTaskerV1-4_M5225X.PDF page 16/40. This uses the FLASH programmer tool.

If there are still problems there are two other possibilities that could be looked into:
1) Using a different CW version (eg. special edition)
2) Trying with CF Flasher - this doesn't inherently support the Kirin3 but someone has made a configuration file that can be added which has worked for some people (it didn't work for me when I tried but maybe I can identify a reason when I next try). I can send you the config file if this step needs to be tried.

Regards

Mark

Offline marcelo_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »
Hi Mark

To begin with, thank you by your fast answer. But trust me that I'm doing things the way they would.

I'm programming for the M52259DEMO board from two months ago.
So I learned some things, like figth with te "Connect failed" error when trying to erase / program the board's flash.
This error was getting me mad until I learned that at every flash cycle, I must to disconnect the board's OSBDM port, wait a few seconds and reconnect it.
And, of course, at every CW session start I followed the recipe to configure the flash programmer adequately. This way, I flashed the board not less than 100 times.

But last saturday the trick did not work anymore: after five or six cycles where once and again CW's Flash Programmer reported this condition ( also after a Windows reboot ) I gave up and ask in the Freescale forum.

Today, after a cold restar of everything, I tried two times again, at no luck.
While searching the net to know why and how an USB port suddenly cannot communicate anymore with the OSBDM device, but can happily connect a pen drive ... I suspected that CW was fooling me regarding the true reason behind the "error".

In the same CW session that refused to flash the uTasker demo ( recall? two times today ) I closed the uTasker project and opened and opened a MQX based one ( of my own ).
And guess what? It flashed without comments.

Moral: when CW dont like something it pretends a flash error.

To me, that is strong evidence. I'm installing the special edition, following your kind advice.

Regards

Marcelo

Offline marcelo_

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »
Hi Mark:

CW Special Edition also refuses to flash the uTasker demo.
May be I'm using 7.2 ...

Regards

Marcelo

Offline marcelo_

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 08:13:43 PM »
Hi Mark, is me again

I downloaded and installed the Cf Flasher, as a last resource. Could you please, send me the config file?

TIA

Regards

Marcelo

Offline marcelo_

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:25:20 PM »
Hi Mark

All the guilt is of mine.
But CW have his big part also.
I never mind that I would need to configure separately the debugging settings for the target, when I'm giving near all info in the programming tool.
It succeeded.

But I would like to get the cfg files to us CF Flasher.

TIA

Marcelo

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:54:10 PM »
Hi Marcelo

I sent you the config file by email.

Good luck

Regards

Mark

Offline Marc VDH

• View Profile
    • iMetaf Weather Station
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »
I just wanted to add that the only difference between the Special Edition version of Codewarrior and all other versions is the license file.
If you install a Special Edition version and copy the license file of a (not expired) evaluation version over the special edition license file, it will turn the SE version into an evaluation version until the evaluation period expires...