µTasker Forum > FreescaleTM MC9S12NE64

Can I use uTasker?

(1/2) > >>

dannix:
Hi,

I'm a beginner at electronics, no previous PIC experience other than building kits, and loading precompiled hex files. I can manufacture my own boards and have designed some analogue circuits. Anyway I was looking for a TCP/IP accessible computer PDU to remotely reboot connected servers etc. Prebuilt PDU's are way to expensive so I purchased http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170370609679&_trksid=p2759.l1259 to switch the outlets.

I was researching into changing the web GUI so it was branded, not necessary but I like to tinker and eventually landed here. The picture looks like it has a MC9S12NE64 chip but I'm concerned about flashing it as the documentation I have read kind of refers to the Demo board which seems much more comprehensive then what I have (or will have when it arrives) I have 8 outputs and inputs that will not be used at present so I intend to use them for a steep learning curve, maybe some kind of environmental monitoring.

It seems like if I was to flash it and it was no longer functioning I can factory reset, will this be true after I flash with my own cooked up firmware? or is it just to reset default settings?

Will I have enough EEPROM for uTasker, I think the Demo board has much more available resources.

I often jump into the deep end so I'm not phased by the complexity unless one inevitable mistake will render this board a veg.

I noticed a firmware upload on the current web menu, would this suggest uTasker is already in use?

Is it time to simulate/learn or is it a dead end already?

Thanks in advance!

mark:
Hi

The uTasker NE64 project should run on any NE64 board due to the fact that all peripherals (including Ethernet and PHY) are internal.
When you FLASH to a board there are two methods - either using a BDM or using the Freescale serial loader. If using the loader there is no risk since the loader allows further loading of data (it can only be overwritten with a BDM). If using BDM (meaning that you also have a BDM) there is also no risk since, using the BDM, you can always delete and start again.

However I would advise against starting any work with the NE64. This is now a retired processor which has been replaced by much more powerful and easier to use parts from the Coldfire V2 MCU family. These are also cheaper, as are their development tools, and allow much more to be done than with an NE64.

Take a look at the Kirin3 demo board- http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=M52259DEMOKIT&fsrch=1 . It cost $49 and comes with everything you need to start developing very powerful applications.
To start with the NE64 will mean a lot of work invested in learning but resulting in a dead-end road. Best to start with something which has a bright future...

Regards

Mark

dannix:
Hi,

I totally see your point! And this causes me a problem. See I have now already purchased a NE64 board that will as is solve my problem. Would it be of no benefit at all to learn the basics on this chip and then decide if this is really a route I want to invest more time (and money) into?

mark:
Hi

There can be a lot learned from the NE64 but it doesn't (any longer) represent the types of chips that are now available for typical Ethernet/Internet work. It is very restrictive in comparison and doesn't support powerful peripherals with DMA support (as the Kirin3 does for example).

You may like to do some experimenting with it but the sooner you step up to something more representative of the state of technology from 2009 (rather than 2004) the more you will benefit and the more fun you will have too...

Regards

Mark

dannix:
Hi,

That isn't much of an investment to enter the current arena. I enjoy electronics, work in IT so enjoy computing and currently program for the web. This seems to fit nice. I just don't know where to start. Could you point me in the right direction for some further reading?

As a start I would like to make a web accessable enviromental monitoring unit. say some device to monitor temp and then switching of fans with an lcd output as well as the web based. This should be simple enough electronically but something to work toward for an application. Then as I begin to understand what these things can really do I can work on something far more powerful.

EDIT: just learnt the demo board comes as a HVAC system! lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version