Author Topic: TCP ip address for incoming connection.  (Read 8399 times)

Offline neil

• View Profile
TCP ip address for incoming connection.
« on: December 18, 2008, 12:18:08 PM »
Hi Mark,
  I have an application where the user will communicate with the board simply by plugging the cable between there computer and the board. If out in the field they will have a direct connection from their laptops ethernet port to the board. Im not sure the best ip address to set for the unit. I assume if its a straight connection it can be the normal 192.168.0.3 (or any thing apart from 3), but if connected to a hub, then have to make sure it doesnt conflict. Any ideas? I know this isnt a utasker issue, but wondering if you have come accross this?

Regards
Neil

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: TCP ip address for incoming connection.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:49:23 PM »
Hi Neil

If the board is not on a network (direct connection) its IP and sub-net need to match the value set at the PC (which will have to use a fixed setting which can be defined to suit the boards).

Whether a straight or cross-over cable is needed depends on whether the PC and/or board support automatic cross-over or not.

If a hub is used just to connect the laptop and the board nothing special is needed.

If the hub (or switch) is used to connect the laptop and the board, and also to a networks either all should mathc teh netowrk or else use different settings (then it will not be able to disturb the network).

Regards

Mark