Author Topic: Extra Ethernet Port  (Read 8734 times)

Offline neil

• View Profile
Extra Ethernet Port
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:26:02 PM »
Hi mark,
  Is it possible to have 2 ethernet sockets on a board, paralled up, connected to the 5223x chip? This would save us having to put in a switch. Just not sure if this is possible, or we will get collision . One ethernet will be connected to another board, and, the other port will be connected to a local network.

Neil

Online mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Extra Ethernet Port
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »
Hi Neil

I don't think that it is possible to put 2 sockets in parallel - perhaps there is a chip which acts as hub which allows this somehow.

It is also not possible to use the internal PHY and an external PHY on the M5223X at the same time. This would mean that you would need to add 2 external PHYs and then it would be possible to control each individually and have 2 independent Ethernet sockets. I have never done this myself and I don't think that it is the most economic solution seeing as the internal PHY is going to waste.

I think that a 4-port switch may still turn out to be the cheapest solution - they cost very little and allow use as a general purpose switch as well giving the equipment extra ports. The only disadvantage of a switch is that it is not as fast at relaying frames as a hub but it can isolate parts of the system from traffic which is not of interest to them.

Regards

Mark

Offline neil

• View Profile
Re: Extra Ethernet Port
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:24:56 AM »
Mark,
  Thanks for the reply. I thought it wouldnt be possible, but worth a try.

Neil