Author Topic: CodeWarrior and Windows 7  (Read 19563 times)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
CodeWarrior and Windows 7
« on: November 27, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
Hi All

If you use CodeWarrior (V7.x for example) together with WIndows 7 you may find that it very often crashes with an exception message.

To solve this, the following change to its execution settings can be made:

1) Go to the program launch symbol for the CodeWarrior IDE and, rather than starting it, right click and then select "Characteristics"
2) In this dialog there is a tab called "Compatibility". Select this.
3) Check the setting "Disable desktop composition".
4) Confirm the new setting.

Now there should be no further difficulties.

Note that the soluton to this (which has been sucessfully tested) originates from here: http://forums.freescale.com/t5/CodeWarrior-General/Windows-7-Unhandled-Exception/td-p/42063

Regards

Mark

Offline jezc

• View Profile
Re: CodeWarrior and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »
Hi Mark,

Do you know if this workaround will work even on 64bit versions of Windows 7?

I'm trying to get things going on Win7 Pro (64 bit) and would like to avoid having to go to CW10 if I can (converting project files/re-building/re-testing & generally fighting with Eclipse etc).

Also, do you currently have any plans to move to newer versions of CW (I'm thinking particularly about the Kinetis parts - glances at the K60 Tower on top of the PC) or will you support these under IAR (being based on the Cortex-M4)?

Cheers,
    Jez

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:28 PM »
Hi Jez

I don't have any information about 64bit windows but I expect that it will be OK (based on the fact that I didn't see any reports of problems specific to the 64 bit version).

At the moment I am working on getting projects ready for CW10. Since this is the direction that various IDEs are moving in it seems to be a necessary move, although I also would prefer to avoid it. Eclipse based IDEs have proven to be the biggest single drain on time and energy in the last several months. They do work, even if rather over-complicated and slow, but the biggest problem that I still haven't solved is how to manage a number of different projects (different processors and different applications plus different eclipse based IDEs [AVR32 studio, Atollic, CW10, etc.] when each one seems to insist on having an Eclipse type project in its own environment... but I haven't given up just yet...

There will be a Kinetis port make avilable quite soon (maybe end of month) which will (if all goes well) contain projects for CW10.1, Keil uVision4, IAR6, Rowley Crossworks V2.1 and GCC stand-alone. As you see, there are various alternatives depending on preferences, whereby CW10.1 is the only Eclipse based on. I too am wondering whether this option will prove popular. The K60 Tower will be supported, together with TWR-SER and TWR-LCD boards.

Regards

Mark

Offline jezc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:35:40 PM »
Hi Mark,

Just to update you, I can't get CW7.2 SE to even install on my PC with Windows 7 Professional 64bit...so I'll have to wait for your CW10.1 conversion by the look of things  :(

I'll have to try installing it on an older PC (again) in the meantime.

Thanks anyway.

Jez

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:25:35 PM »
Hi Jez

I didn't see that there was an install problem on 64-bit Win7, but I don't have any experience myself.
Have you checked the Freescale Codewarrior support forum: http://forums.freescale.com/t5/CodeWarrior-General/bd-p/CWCOMM ?

Regards

Mark

Offline jezc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:13:12 PM »
Hi Mark,

I've managed to get CW 7.2 installed onto my Win7 64bit PC in the end (following the advice on the forum as you suggested - thanks!) - it's now building the 52259 Tower demo ok.

Now I need to work out how to get the debug connection to work...in the meantime I guess I'll have to go back to an old XP machine and get the real work done!

Thanks.
    Jez

Offline catalin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 03:44:37 PM »
Hi,

Can you, please, tell me how do you managed to intall CW 7.2 on windows 7 64 bit ? I'm searching a solution on freescale forum but nothing pops out...

Thanks!