Author Topic: Timescales for the release of a LPC23xx version  (Read 12594 times)

Offline mhoneywill

• View Profile
Timescales for the release of a LPC23xx version
« on: July 11, 2007, 04:01:34 PM »
I'm a NXP LPC chip user and am very interested in looking at the uTasker TCPIP stack for the LPC23xx, do you have any time scales for its release? even in beta form.

My IDE is the GCC based Rowley Crossworks.

Do you have any detailed information about how your stack works, other options I'm looking at are UIP and LWIP and I'm interested in the features / limitations of your stack.

Thanks for what looks like a very interesting product

Martin Honeywill

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Timescales for the release of a LPC23xx version
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 04:58:08 PM »
Hi Martin

Well I don’t advise holding your breath until it is ready since it is really only just getting started here.

Due to the holiday season which is almost upon us I wouldn’t expect a beta until September. This will include the TCP/IP stack as in the demo project shown online at http://84.75.9.2/

The port to the LPC23XX doesn’t involve porting anything at the stack level, although there are a few I/O demos in the project which have to be set up, but rather at the driver level (UART, EMAC, PHY, Timers, FLASH driver, etc.). However there will not be USB support at the beginning – this is planned generally for the project in autumn.

I have used Rowley GCC with the SAM7X but will initially work with IAR on the LPC project.

I don’t know exact comparisons with the other light weight stacks you have mentioned but one big difference is that I think we have a lot more practical features such as HTTP post, Telnet with high speed windowing for example and details like VLAN, plus the uTasker includes a complete project set up with OS, device drivers, complete project as demo, plus a unique simulator (best you try it to appreciate it) and of course full support.

Probably the best thing to do is to try out an available package – the SAM7X is probable the closest (or STR91) and give it a test drive in the simulator (if you don’t have an eval board). You can test everything to do with the stack there and identify its strength and weaknesses in respect to your project. The LPC23XX parts do already run in the simulator, where their ports and peripherals have been prepared but still steal a lot of driver code from the SAM7X – these parts are to be gradually ported until it can run in its real ‘body’.

Perhaps someone else can comment on other available packages like uIP and LWIP?

Regards

Mark

Offline bvwelch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »
Greetings,

I am also very interested in a version of utasker for the lpc2378.  As it is now September 14, I thought I would ask-- is there any news on the development effort?

Thank you,

bvwelch

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 07:23:42 PM »
Hi

Thanks for asking. The present situation is that the project is running in the uTasker simulator but missing some drivers as of writing (the drivers are mostly available in an LPC21xx project so can probably be completed with out a huge amount of effort).

However it still needs to be tested and tuned on the target (plan is initially for IAR project and after for GCC project).
Yes, 14.9.2007. Time flies and I would really have expected to have something available by now.

The uTasker development resources are driven by uTasker users and presently the Freescale M5223X is the processor used most intensively - this can also be seen by looking at the forum activity. Fortunately general issues are more or less processor independent (when necessary drivers are available to all) so all processors benefit, but it is true that the majority of development resources are presently concentrated around the Coldfire and so new processor developments tend to suffer,

Having said that, it is positive there is some input to say that there is interest because this certainly motivates to get the last stage sorted out. If it is known that there are people who are waiting or wanting to try it out then this also helps to swing attention back to getting the development completed.

That said, I will see whether it is not possible to get a trial version made available a.s.ap. for anyone who wants to roll up their sleeves and find out what is operating properly and sort out some of the first bugs.
If any one else is interested just shout here - the louder you shout the faster it will be ready!

Regards

Mark

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 02:39:27 AM »
Hi All

Just a note to say that the uTasker is running for the first time tonight on the LPC2378FBD100 (MCB2300 board) from RAM and IAR project build.

Speed 72MHz.

I believe the details of the memory map and interrupt handling are solved.

As next step it should run from FLASH (using NXP ISP loading as first base) since there will probably not be enough SRAM to run all code on the debugger. Then activate and test each peripheral.

So far so good....

Regards

Mark