Author Topic: Codewarrior 10.1 & uTasker v1.4 Build Issues  (Read 12977 times)

Offline Sam_Bertsch

• View Profile
Codewarrior 10.1 & uTasker v1.4 Build Issues
« on: April 01, 2011, 06:21:30 AM »
I am working on a project for a class working with the TOWER system with a K60 processor and TWR-LCD module. I have really only worked with Atmel AVR processors and am trying to broaden my knowledge and experience so I chose this development system. Anyway I cannot figure out why my project will not build, but I get this error when attempting to build the project (This is from the Console):

'Regenerating dependency file: uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.d'
' '
'Building file: C:/ECET_590/uTaskerKinetisV1.4-5/uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.c'
'Invoking: ARM Compiler'
"C:/Program Files/Freescale/CW MCU v10.1/MCU/ARM_Tools/Command_Line_Tools/mwccarm" -gccinc @@"uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.args" -o "uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.obj" -c "C:/ECET_590/uTaskerKinetisV1.4-5/uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.c" -MD -gccdep
### C:/Program Files/Freescale/CW MCU v10.1/MCU/ARM_Tools/Command_Line_Tools/mwccarm Usage Error:
#   Argument(s) expected
#   while parsing option '-I'

Errors caused tool to abort.
C:\Program Files\Freescale\CW MCU v10.1\gnu\bin\make: *** [uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.obj] Error 1

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I assume it is just a stupid thing I am overlooking, but I am lowering my pride and asking for help anyway. Thanks.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Codewarrior 10.1 & uTasker v1.4 Build Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »
Hi

Unfortunately this is an error that I have never seen before.

There have been some difficulties with the new CW10.1 but these seem to have been solved up to now with the following 'tricks':
- make sure that the work space directories don't have names like "work space" - avoid white space - the following will be OK "work_space"
- press F5 in the file explorer window on the left of the IDE to update the (known) files in the workspace
- if files can't be found, try deleting the make file in the target directory to force the system to regenerate a make file suitable for the local PC (the project works with a managed make file and so the IDE will automatically regenerate new make files when content changes - however is seems as though some path names are not updated and so can be still pointing to invalid locations on a different PC.

Your problem doesn't look to be related to any of these known difficulties because the compiler seems to be invoked correctly and the file seems to be found.
The actual error seems to be due to a parameter passed to the compiler when compiling this file (note that it looks to have regenerated the dependency for the file just beforehand). This means that the IDE is creating a make rule for the file (which includes the compiler call parameters) and then the call to the compiler fails since these parameters are invalid (?). I don't see the option -I but this is usually the include path to use when searching for header files.

I would have a look at the make file that it has created (in the target directory below the project) to see whether there is maybe something obviously wrong there (like entries with invalid paths).

You could also ask at the Freescale CW forum: http://forums.freescale.com/t5/CodeWarrior-General/bd-p/CWCOMM since this looks to be a CW issue.

In the meantime try using the GCC build (simply install the CodeSourcery ARM tool chain - the free light version) and run the bat file in the GCC project directory. The files generated can also be loaded with the FLASH loader in the CW10.1 so that at least things can run on the Tower Kit until the CW10.1 project problem can be solved.

Also ensure that you also try the VS based simulator (it also builds the GCC target if the target is set up for this option) and will allow you to test things without HW - the VS2010 special edition is adequate (and free from Microsoft) and is is a good solution for students who don't all have access to the HW.

Regards

Mark

Offline Sam_Bertsch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply. So, I have question regarding the make file that is create when I build the project.
So, if I set my Build Configuration to MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_RAM, then the make file that is created under the directory: C:\ECET_590\uTaskerKinetis\Applications\uTaskerKinetisV1.4-5\KinetisCodeWarrior\MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_RAM has a list of -includes that are pointed to the following directory:

-include Applications/uTaskerV1.4/KinetisCodeWarrior/MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_FLASH/uTasker/utFAT/subdir.mk
-include Applications/uTaskerV1.4/KinetisCodeWarrior/MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_FLASH/uTasker/subdir.mk
-include Applications/uTaskerV1.4/KinetisCodeWarrior/MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_FLASH/uTasker/uGLCDLIB/subdir.mk
-include Applications/uTaskerV1.4/KinetisCodeWarrior/MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_FLASH/uTasker/MODBUS/subdir.mk
-include Applications/uTaskerV1.4/KinetisCodeWarrior/MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_FLASH/stack/subdir.mk
-include Applications/uTaskerV1.4/KinetisCodeWarrior/MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_FLASH/Hardware/Kinetis/subdir.mk
-include Applications/uTaskerV1.4/KinetisCodeWarrior/MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_FLASH/Applications/uTaskerV1.4/subdir.mk

My question is, shouldn't the directory be -include Applications/uTaskerV1.4/KinetisCodeWarrior/MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_RAM/... instead of -include Applications/uTaskerV1.4/KinetisCodeWarrior/MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_FLASH/...
It appears to me that it is mixing up these two configurations. I will also try your other suggestions to keep this project going.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »
Hi

I have checked my configuration and it does something similar.
That is strange, however I don't think that it is a problem - try the following:

- delete the files "workspace\uTaskerV1.4\Applications\uTaskerV1.4\KinetisCodeWarrior\MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_RAM" and "workspace\uTaskerV1.4\Applications\uTaskerV1.4\KinetisCodeWarrior\MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_FLASH".

- now build one of the targets (eg. the one for internal RAM). This will cause this directory to be created again with all of its content - including newly generated makefiles, and sub-make files.

- now look deeper in the directory that CW10.1 has just created when starting the build (and calculating dependencies etc.):
"workspace\uTaskerV1.4\Applications\uTaskerV1.4\KinetisCodeWarrior\MK60N512VMD100_INTERNAL_RAM\Applications\uTaskerV1.4\KinetisCodeWarrior\Project_Settings\Linker_Files"

As you will see the submake files are stored in sub-directories with sub-directory names of all directories found in the workspace.

When building the FLASH target the RAM project exists and so the FLASH target gets an entry with the FLash taret's sub-directory name. However, these are not parts of the project and so the sub-make files put in them they don't have meaning.

It all looks a bit strange but that is how Eclipse (base for CW10.1 works), but not actually a problem as far as I can see.

In any case do try completely deleting these directories so that CW10.1 has to rebuild its make files and dependencies again and maybe it will start to work.
Also try importing a copy of the original project into your workspace (when importing it asks whether to copy the content of not), to see whether there is a difference.

Regards

Mark

Offline Predielis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
'Regenerating dependency file: uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.d'
' '
'Building file: C:/ECET_590/uTaskerKinetisV1.4-5/uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.c'
'Invoking: ARM Compiler'
"C:/Program Files/Freescale/CW MCU v10.1/MCU/ARM_Tools/Command_Line_Tools/mwccarm" -gccinc @@"uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.args" -o "uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.obj" -c "C:/ECET_590/uTaskerKinetisV1.4-5/uTasker/utFAT/mass_storage.c" -MD -gccdep
### C:/Program Files/Freescale/CW MCU v10.1/MCU/ARM_Tools/Command_Line_Tools/mwccarm Usage Error:
#   Argument(s) expected
#   while parsing option '-I'

Been here too.
Edit Project Properties->C/C++ General->Path and Symbols->Includes->C Source Files
and set the correct path, in my case
C:\Users\Username\workspace\uTaskerKinetisV1.4-15\Applications\uTaskerV1.4

It was a matter of uTaskerKinetisV1.4-15 different from \uTaskerKinetisV1.4