Author Topic: WiFi module RN-171  (Read 8421 times)

Offline tonko

• View Profile
WiFi module RN-171
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »
I'm planing to use WiFi in my projects.
I want to use module RN-171 http://www.rovingnetworks.com/171.php
RN-171 has UART, SDIO and SPI interfaces.
Can you please tell me directions how to integrate this module with uTasker to make it work.
Target CPU is NXP LPC2478

Thanks !

Offline mhoneywill

• View Profile
Re: WiFi module RN-171
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:32:47 AM »
Having a quick look at the RN-171 module, it looks like this is a complete WiFi module and TCPIP stack, and that when setup correctly it will configure the Wifi Connection automatically.

In this sense it would be completely independent of the uTasker TCPIP stack. It looks like you would configure the module, let it make the connection then transfer data from your application directly to the module for transmission. You should think of it more like a Modem rather than a Wifi module. The modules job is to hide all the Wifi operation from the user.

Cheers

Martin

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: WiFi module RN-171
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Hi Martin / Tonko

I expect that there are also versions of the module which doesn't have integrated TCP/IP stack - this is often an option. Also it may be possible to deactivate the internal TCP/IP stack.

See the following dicussion: http://forums.freescale.com/t5/68K-ColdFire-reg-Microprocessors/MCF52259-and-WiFi/td-p/75479
I have purchased a board with the Redpine module on it for when I find some time to give it a go - this module seems to be a fairly good compromise, although it doesn't have SDIO.

Unfortunately first tests with USB based modules have suggested that manufacturers use propriatory USB class protocols, which makes the idea of using cheap USB WiFi dongles less attractive. Furthermore it looks as though they may also be using the PC's processor to do most of the 'difficult' work. This is of course logical to keep the actual USB modules as small and cheap as possible but is probably not what is needed for embedded users, where it is nice to be able to use the interface as a simple modem type connection and not have to worry about internal working details and encryption algorithms which will otherwise burden the embedded processor too.

Regards

Mark