Author Topic: What devices & eval boards are supported  (Read 7675 times)

Offline jezc

• View Profile
What devices & eval boards are supported
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
Hi Mark,

I've been using / comparing uTasker on a variety of processor families in the past (generally very impressed with it all) but have now been asked to consider some of the TI Stellaris parts (partly due to the integrated PHY and impending availability with Cortex-M4 cores).

I've got a few boards available - newest ones I've been presented with are the LM3S9B96 dev board & LM3S9B90 eval kits - but wasn't sure what was supported or not.

Most of your other supported families have the info pinned to the top of the forum but not this one...

Sorry if I've missed the info in another post!

Cheers,
    Jez

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: What devices & eval boards are supported
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
Hi Jez

I have to admit that I haven't been doing much work on the LM3Sxxxx project recently because the interest has demised quite considerably. I think that the LM3S9Bxx parts, which are rather more complicated that the older parts, although theoretically quite a lot more powerful (with uDMA support and multiple peripherals configuration on pins), did have quite a long history of bugs and problems with availability which blocked project take-off.

The LM3S9Bx parts are however basically supported (apart from USB, which is only supported at the moment on the older parts, which have a different USB controller built in).

One problem (although not a big one) is that there were always a huge amount of different parts available and so it is not feasible to have a complete setup for every possible one. To 'tune' to a certain part number is however not difficult as explained in the following document (when people have required a specific part number I have usually added it quickly for them since it is fairly straight-forward):
http://www.utasker.com/docs/LM3Sxxxx/uTaskerLM3SXXXX_Ports.PDF

Below is the list of evaluation and demo boards that I have used with the project (this is from config.h, so the project should run on the corresponding baord by selecting its define).

//#define EK_LM3S1968                                                  // LUMINARY EVAL board without Ethernet
  //#define EK_LM3S2110                                                  // LUMINARY CAN DEVICE BOARD
  //#define EK_LM3S2139                                                  // LUMINARY CAN DEVICE BOARD
  //#define EK_LM3S3748                                                  // LUMINARY EVAL board with USB HOST/DEVICE (100pin) + CGLCD
  //#define EK_LM3S3768                                                  // LUMINARY EVAL board with USB HOST/DEVICE/OTG
  //#define EK_LM3S5732                                                  // LUMINARY EVAL board with USB HOST/DEVICE (64pin)
  //#define EK_LM3S6965                                                  // LUMINARY EVAL board with Ethernet
  //#define EK_LM3S8962                                                  // LUMINARY EVAL board with Ethernet and CAN
  //#define EK_LM3S9B90                                                  // LUMINARY EVAL board with Ethernet, USB-OTG, 2xCAN
  //#define EK_LM3S9B95                                                  // LUMINARY EVAL board with Ethernet, USB-OTG, 2xCAN
  //#define DK_LM3S9B96
  //#define IDM_L35_B                                                    // LUMINARY inteligent display module with 3.5" TFT and touch screen (LM3S1958)

[I don't think that I actually tested the DK_LM3S9B96 since I don't have it but I think that someone else did - in any case there is a setup for it in the project which builds and simulates].

Regards

Mark

P.S. It is interesting to know that there may be Cortex M4 parts available shortly. The Kinetis will probably be its biggest competition, although most manufactures seem to be going away from integrated PHY since it complicates the manufacturing process (the Kinetis uses an external one).

Offline jezc

• View Profile
Re: What devices & eval boards are supported
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:21:14 AM »
Hi Mark,

That's great - thanks for the update.

Maybe it's worth pinning this info to the top of the Luminary Micro forum for ease of reference?

I'll apply for an eval license for this project & see how I get on with using it on the dev kit.

Cheers,
    Jez