Author Topic: LPC1788 Support added to LPC17XX project  (Read 13270 times)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
LPC1788 Support added to LPC17XX project
« on: November 26, 2011, 01:11:36 AM »
Hi All

I am pleased to announce that the LPC1788 is now supported in the LPC17xx project.

This chip is at the top end of the LPC17xx range with a speed of 120MHz and integrated LCD and SDRAM controllers; the package includes a configuration for the IAR LPC1788-SK board with 320 x 240 pixel TFT.

There are a few changes made by NXP in the LPC178x devices including new PLL configurations and internal bus clocking. They have also modified the way that the pin configuration is performed, meaning that the LPC178x has various incompatibilities with the previous devices and it sometimes seems to be so different that one almost wonders whether it doesn't actually belong to a different line of devices.

Nevertheless the device was added to the package in a way that the user doesn't necessarily need to know the differences and the project is compatible across the whole range of LPC17xx devices. There is generally no need to use any different configuration when moving between LPC17xx general and LPC178x types apart from setting the processor target accordingly in the project and in the debugger in case register viewing is required. There is a short note for Rowley Crossworks users about switching the target so that register viewing is possible for all devices in the directory \Applications\uTaskerV1.4\Rowley_LPC17XX - see "How to change target between LPC17xx and LPC1788.txt".

The laters version can be found here: http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=1285.0

Regards

Mark

Offline jezc

• View Profile
Re: LPC1788 Support added to LPC17XX project
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Hi Mark,

That's great news! I've got the EA LPC1788 dev kit - are there any plans to support this as well? If not, I'll try and get something working on that board myself...

The EA board offers 320x240 as well as 480x272 & 800x480 display resolutions ;-)

I'm working on our own hardware based on the LPC1788 (upgrading from the LPC2478) at the moment so having the option to run it on the dev kit would be really helpful!

Cheers,

Jez

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 12:35:04 AM »
Hi Jez

I decided on the IAR board rather than the EA kit since the EA kit is a bit more complicated (modular but more expensive if I remember correctly). I would like to make a configuration for it though but I don't have the circuit diagram to check where things are (this seems only to be available to purchasers of the board).

As long as the SDRAM is configured correctly for the memory on the board the rest of the details should not be a problem. That means that it shouldn't be very complicated to get the project running on that board too.

Regards

Mark

Offline jezc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »
Hi Mark,

Yes, unfortunalely the schematics are part of the downloads only available after registering the product.

However, the NXP examples for the LPC1788 (which also seem to be their CMSIS libraries) are all written for the EA board (and many now support the IAR board too) & at least one of these covers setting up the SDRAM.

I'll try and dig out a bit more information about this if it would help?
I'd also be happy to try and prove that the port to the EA board works if that would help?

Cheers,
    Jez

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:48:40 PM »
Hi Jez

That would of course be great - you just need to ensure that the SDRAM configuration matches the example for the board (probably just in case the SDRAM size is different).

If you have a 320 x 240 LCD the LCD initialisation should be OK as it is. If not you will need to set the size up to match - I think that the X, Y sizes in
Code: [Select]
config.h also cause the LCD settings to be adpated accoringly so it may be quite simple too.

Good luck!

Regards

Mark

Offline jezc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:26 PM »
Hi Mark,

Ok, I'll get the latest version & try it on the EA board over the weekend & hopefully report back on my progress.

IIRC the biggest difference with the SDRAM will be that the IAR board uses a pair of x16 SDRAM devices but there's only a single x32 SDRAM on the EA board.

I've got the 320x240 LCD at the moment & this is the same as the one on the LPC2478 dev kit (I think).

Thanks,

Jez