Author Topic: Using uTasker in Real applications  (Read 7343 times)

Offline mhoneywill

• View Profile
Using uTasker in Real applications
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:06:58 PM »
Hi Mark,

I've been playing with uTasker for the LPC23xx on and off for a week or so and I'm starting to get my head around it. I've been enabling and disabling features in config.h to see what depends on what. I've also added a simple UDP handler for a protocol I used on a previous project, so I could see if the uTasker Simulator would talk to my PC based application.

To date all this playing has been based on your demo application, what I'm trying to do now is to remove features that I don't need to come up with a skeleton framework. I'm finding it quite difficult to tease this apart, to find what is related to what, and what is needed by what. I was wondering do you have sample applications that are standalone like a simple static page webserver, or UDP server. This way I can build up from one of those rather than trying to cut down the demo application by removing bits.

Cheers

Martin

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Using uTasker in Real applications
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:33:04 PM »
Hi Martin

I don't have any other demo setups, but it is not that tricky to strip down to a minimum.

I suggest the following:
1. Make a copy of the project uTaskerV1.3 in the application directory (this is now your own application - it will build like the demo).
2. In your application directory, remove the content of debug.c and fecompile.
There will be various linking errors due to missing initialisations (like ftp set up) and a number of sub-routines. These are all called from application or the WebInterface.
Check where they are called from in these and either remove the call (if not needed) or copy the subroutine (from original debug.c) to your own own debug.c or another file (or to application).

This should already have stripped the project down to basics and you know which of the functions you want to use in your own webinterface. In the process you will know which of the calls you would like to keep and which are unimportant for you.
At the same time you can also strip out webinterface handling if you want.

The thing to remember is that everything in the application directory is project specific code. It can be changed as desired without affecting general project code (which can be shared between projects). You can set up config.h and app_hw_XXXX.h to suit the specific project and hardware. types.h can also be optimised for a project.

If anything goes wrong on the way you have the demo project as reference. It is best to work with the simulator (VS) during this phase since it compiles faster and you can run after each block of changes to ensure that there is nothing which has gone seriously wrong.

Good luck

Regards

Mark