µTasker Forum > utFAT

Mountable version of SD_CARD.bin

(1/2) > >>

schveiguy:
Hi,

I am just getting back into developing using uTasker, and I was hoping there was a way to mount the simulated SD_CARD.bin on my PC so I can examine the contents and ensure they are valid.

Alternatively, is there a way for the simulator to use a physical SD card inserted into the PC?

Thanks

-Steve

mark:
Hi Steve

The simulator uses a special format for the SD_CARD.bin which only saves the contnet of sectors that are actually used (otherwies it may require a hugh file to simulate a large card).

Thsi means that the content of the file can not be used by the PC and also the simulator doesn't work with a real card - which would however be nice if it could. I don't know how to access the card at a low level though (rather than going through a standard file system interface which discuises the details). If it were possible to tell the PC to read physical sector of a real card and write it too then this would be very useful (but haven't found anything that allows it yet...).

This means that presently the only way to check the content of the simulated SD card is to use the "sect" commands in the utFAT command line interface.

Regards

Mark

schveiguy:
OK, thanks.

I actually would not mind having a fully allocated SD card "image" on my PC, I certainly have 1GB to spare.  I actually am using a Windows VMWare image on a MAC, and I'm pretty sure my mac could mount a full filesystem as a file.

Is it difficult to do this?

-Steve

schveiguy:
Further,

It would be fine if I had to take an actual SD card and copy the binary image of it to a file in order for this to work.  In other words, I don't care if the simulator creates the image, I just want to be able to use a mountable image with it.

-Steve

mark:
Hi Steve

It would presumably be possible to use a large ram area for the simulation but to copy this to a card would then require a low level copy function so that each section is copied to the correct physical location of the SD card. A simple file copy from disk to a physical card would mean that the PC will use its own file system (on top) which would not be what is required.

If we could find a low level interface which can read and write sections on a physical card directly the simulator would be able to work in the perfect manner.

I did try some programs that I fount out there which said that they could manipulate cards but was always disappointed that they could only really do some forms of formatting which was not very helpful.

I wonder whether the required interface exists somewhere?

Regards

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version