Author Topic: I wonder whether this is a compiler problem or bad coding??  (Read 5784 times)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
I wonder whether this is a compiler problem or bad coding??
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:21:27 PM »
Hi All

After spending more hours trying to identify a problem than I would have liked to I am wondering whether the reason for the problem was bad coding or bad compiling? It failed only with GCC.

This is the line that cost half a day of troubles:

present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex += fnSubroutine(present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex, (void *)present_task); // move to next index

The value present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex is passed to the routine as a value but also a pointer is passed (but declared void) which allows the subroutine to manipulate the same value (present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex) in a particular instance. The return value is used to increment the index with a certain index step.

In the one case where present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex is modified in the subroutine it fails and the following was found to be happening.
- when the subroutine was called present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex was pushed to the stack as passing parameter
- the subroutine modified present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex via the present_task pointer (casted in the subroutine to the same struct pointer type)
- when the subroutine returns it does a pop and also pops back the original present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex value from the stack to the present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex - which is in a register. This means that the change made in the subroutine was cancelled out and the index was then incorrect and written to the 'real' present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex in RAM

The following change worked around this "problem":

int iShift = fnSubroutine(present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex, (void *)present_task);
present_task->ulTaskPresentIndex += iShift;

I can't work out whether it is bad programming or a compiler problem - it didn't make any difference whether optimisation was enabled or not.

Can any compiler experts comment on this and give a rule for programmers to avoid such potential issues?

Regards

Mark

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:08:22 PM by mark »