Author Topic: No LAN connection between M52233DEMO and PC  (Read 8557 times)

Offline ZeroOne

• View Profile
No LAN connection between M52233DEMO and PC
« on: March 11, 2008, 11:31:05 AM »
Hi

I am using a crossed LAN cable between the M52233DEMO (running uTasker) and my PC and there seems to be no connection what so ever between the two. The netmask on the PC is the same as the one one the demoboard. The funny thing is when the M52233DEMO is connected to a router I have no problem connecting to M52233DEMO using ftp or http. I can upload webpages, view them and use them.

I tried disabling the DHCP i config.h, but the result is the same.

ZeroOne

Ps. I did check the cable and it is ok.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: No LAN connection between M52233DEMO and PC
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »
Hi

Freescale told me (mid-2006) that the bug in the PHY should be fixed in parts from around begin/mid-2007. I don't know whether this is the case since the errata is still in the latest document:
http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/errata/MCF52235DE.pdf?fsrch=1&WT_TYPE=Errata&WT_VENDOR=FREESCALE&WT_FILE_FORMAT=pdf&WT_ASSET=Documentation

If you look in the section about chip errata in the uTasker turorial you will also find a description of this (potential) problem.

I would contact your freescale representative to find out what the actual situation is on this - demo boards probably use older chips which almost certainly have this issue so probably can not be used as a reference for present status of new chips.

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:43:01 PM by mark »

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: No LAN connection between M52233DEMO and PC
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:31:16 PM »
Hi

Note that freescale has published a new errata issue in the latest errata release concerning the FEC sending duplicate frames in some cases.

This has been known for a long time when trying to transmit with the project set up to use only one transmit buffer (there are various references to it in at the freescale Coldfire forum).

Since the uTasker project is set up to use several tx buffers (makes sense anyway) it hasn't actually been experienced as far as I know in any real projects. However the errata suggests that it could still occur even when multiple buffers are used. Since there is however no knowledge of this being a real problem in the uTasker project there are presently no plans to try adding a workaround - a repeated frame in a LAN/Internet environment is also no real problem.

Regards

Mark