Author Topic: Jumping to SerialLoader from flashloader (blhost)?  (Read 508 times)

Offline jackking

• View Profile
Jumping to SerialLoader from flashloader (blhost)?
« on: April 03, 2024, 03:15:18 PM »
I am trying to completely automate my dev cycle, using command line sdphost to load the flashloader, then blhost to write the uTasker Serial Loader.  This is instead of using MCU Boot Utility.

I can get the SerialLoader written to flash without issues, but I would like to then cause blhost to jump to execution of the SerialLoader.

I tried following this approach: https://community.nxp.com/t5/MCUXpresso-Secure-Provisioning/BLHost-Execute-application-from-NOR/td-p/1546972

It does jump, but the SerialLoader doesn't seem to actually execute correctly, so I must be missing something.

Has anyone tried this with the uTasker SerialLoader?

Here are my commands to try and execute the jump from blhost:
Code: [Select]
../secure_provisioning/blhost -t 5242000 -u 0x15A2,0x0073 -- read-memory 0x60001000 8
Inject command 'read-memory'
Successful response to command 'read-memory'

d1 00 20 41 00 20 00 60

(1/1)100% Completed!
Successful generic response to command 'read-memory'
Response status = 0 (0x0) Success.
Response word 1 = 8 (0x8)
Read 8 of 8 bytes.

Application address:  0x60002000
../secure_provisioning/blhost -t 5242000 -u 0x15A2,0x0073 -- read-memory 0x60002000 8
Inject command 'read-memory'
Successful response to command 'read-memory'

00 c0 2b 20 61 33 00 60

(1/1)100% Completed!
Successful generic response to command 'read-memory'
Response word 1 = 8 (0x8)
Read 8 of 8 bytes.

Stack pointer:  0x202bc000
Reset vector:  0x60003361
../secure_provisioning/blhost -u 0x15A2,0x0073 -- execute 0x60003361 0 0x202bc000
Inject command 'execute'
Successful generic response to command 'execute'

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Jumping to SerialLoader from flashloader (blhost)?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 12:33:12 AM »
Hi

I don't have experience with using blhost but if the serial loader has been installed into flash I would expect that a reset would cause it to start.

I have, however, worked with the SDP protocol that blhost uses and used the following technique:

1. I build the serial loader using the bat file/make file method which generates and output using (see make_uTaskerSerialBoot_GNU_iMX):

# Create SDP output file and show its size
uTaskerSerialSDP.elf: $(OBJS) $(OBJS2_SDP) iMX_RT_10XX_SDP_BOOT.ld
   $(CC_LNK) $(C_FLAGS) -Os -g -TiMX_RT_10XX_SDP_BOOT.ld -nostartfiles -Xlinker --gc-sections -lm -Wl,-Map=uTaskerSerialSDP_BM.map -o uTaskerSerialSDP.elf $(OBJS) $(OBJS2_SDP)
   $(CC_OBJ) --only-section=.data --only-section=.init --only-section=.text --only-section=.rodata --only-section=.vectors --output-target=binary uTaskerSerialSDP.elf uTaskerSerialSDP.bin
   $(CC_SIZE) uTaskerSerialSDP.elf
   $(CC) -v

This output is suitable for use by loading with the SDP protocol (it is loaded and run in OCRAM)
I think I set this define in config.h
#define CONFIG_SDP_LOADER                                        // build the serial loader to work as a downloaded loader with the NXP serial download protocol

2. The serial loader can be build with any options and the one I use is SREC via USB-CDC

3. When this binary is installed and started (I think it is equivalent to when you load your flashloader and will be suitable for any boards that can run the serial loader since it will be configured with the same flash driver, and can be modified to add more functions such as test functions for production) it runs this serial loader and so appears as a CDC device. Like this the host can load SREC files (in order to install the final serial loader + application into flash) and can be commanded to start with the "go" command.

Regards

Mark

P.S. I use a second i.MX RT for production programming that uses the SDP protocol via USB (as host) connected to fresh i.MX RTs in their ISP mode. It detects when they enumerate, installs the uTaskerSerialSDP.bin that I generated for the target and starts it. The device then enumerates as USB-CDC and the host sends the SREC interface "bc", "ld", SREC image, "go" commands to install the complete serial loader/application.
At the same time the i.MX RT host controls the bed of nails tester to test the board and program other parts on it.
I have used the technique a number of times in quite large volumes - recently I tested/programmed 1000 boards myself and they all programmed without any glitches.

Offline jackking

• View Profile
Re: Jumping to SerialLoader from flashloader (blhost)?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 03:37:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I am going to continue trying to get my blhost based reset working with my existing flashloader (based on the NXP mcu-boot project).

I will update here if I have any success.