Author Topic: SPI FLASH support for the LM3Sxxxx  (Read 10490 times)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
SPI FLASH support for the LM3Sxxxx
« on: March 30, 2008, 03:06:06 AM »
Hi All

Here's a note to say that I have successfully added SPI FLASH support to the LPC project - see
http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=230.0

The reason why I am announcing this in the Luminary section is due to the fact that I have in fact added the same support (in parallel) to the Luminary project, but not tested it on the HW just yet (simulation works correctly).

I decided to solder an ATMEL AT45DB041B on to the LPC board first to check that all works. Now that this is operating correctly (after a couple of extra instructions to ensure the RX FIFO was correctly being cleared) I am assuming that the luminary project will also operate correctly when I solder its chip into position, probably some time tomorrow. The reason for the optimism is explained in the link above...!

Regards

Mark

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: SPI FLASH support for the LM3Sxxxx
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:37:20 PM »
Hi Again

Here is confirmation that the SPI FLASH support is successful on the Luminary Micro parts. I have set the SPI speed to 12.5MHz which didn't have any problems. 25MHz is possible from the LM3S6965 (etc.) but this is higher than the specification for the AT45DB041B that I an using.

I will try to get a service pack ready for anyone who would like to use it. You can get the circuit for connecting  the SPI chip from the documents page: http://www.utasker.com/docs/documentation.html

Note also that we have a driver for the STM25Pxxx devices which has been successfully used in the Coldfire development project. If any one is keen on using these rather than the ATMEL, just let me know - the driver can now easily be adapted for the Luminary parts knowing that the control has basically been proven. If you are happy to test it on the hardware I can get it to you very quickly...

Regards

Mark

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: SPI FLASH support for the LM3Sxxxx
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »
Last update on this topic!

I added the ST SPI FLASH devices to the project and verified everything in the uTasker simulator (STM25Pxx - large granularity code FLASH and STM25PExx small granularity data FLASH). Therefore this will be included in the next LM3Sxxxx service pack, even if not yet proven on hardware.

Regards

Mark