Author Topic: uTasker V1.3 SP8 simulator compile error?  (Read 7897 times)

MarcV

uTasker V1.3 SP8 simulator compile error?
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:28:48 AM »
Hello Mark,

I'm currently trying to compile the uTasker V1.3 SP8 using MS Visual Studio 2008 professional. But when building, I get the error...

error RC2104 : undefined keyword or key name: ID_TEST_R3

...in file uTasker.rc line 53
I cannot open the uTasker.rc file in the resource viewer either. I get the message "Load Failed" when I try to do this.

I noticed that there are 2 resource.h files available in the project. One is in the WinSim folder and does define ID_TEST_R3 while the other one is located under applications\simulator and does not define ID_TEST_R3.

After copying the one from the WinSim folder to the applications\simulator folder everything compiles fine. It looks to me as if the compiler uses the resource.h file from the applications\simulator folder even though, when searching for the definition of the ID_TEST_R3 symbol, the file located under WinSim is opened and the symbol appears to be correctly defined...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:00:12 PM by MarcV »

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: uTasker V1.3 SP8 simulator compile error?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »
Hi Marc

Your observations are correct.
I did note this point in the step-by-step: http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=352.0
3. Delete the file resource.h in the application directory (there is a new version in \winsim and deleting the old one will avoid it causing errors).
and also in the release notes.

However I will probably update both occurrences of the resource.h in the next SP to avoid any confusion. The main one (general reference) is in the \WinSim folder but the local project uses the local one first if it finds it first.

Regards

Mark

MarcV

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:10:22 PM »
Oops... seems like I had to read that post a bit better then... :-[

Anyway, I figured it out myself then.

Is there actually a reason why there are two copies of the file? (I hope this isn't another dumb question...)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »
Marc

I wish there weren't 2 copies but there is a reason for it.
When the menus are changed in the simulator and the resources recompiled, a local resources.c is automatically generated. This is however only local to the project. Therefore, so that there is a central one (both the resources such as menu items and a corresponding header) it is maintained centrally in /WinSim.

Since the resources have been modified to add USB simulation the central ones were updated but any local ones have to be either updated or simply removed. Adding the SP can't remove files but only add or overwrite them. As I wrote, the best is for SPs to simply overwrite both in future. Any existing project can be updated to the latest resource support by using the /WinSim directory and deleting the local resource.h in case of a missing define.

Regards

Mark