Author Topic: MCF52223 - phantom PORT TD?  (Read 10009 times)

Offline akorud

• View Profile
MCF52223 - phantom PORT TD?
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:32:58 PM »
Hi,
does anybody know anything about this phantom port? In GPIO description in chapter 12.1 of RM there is port TD and pins PTD[1-3], uTasker also has defines:
Code: [Select]
#define PTDPAR      *(unsigned char *)(PORT_MODULE_ADD + 0x70)    // bur that's all. No information in chapter 12.5.1 Ports Memory Map, no in pinout. I'm really confused.

Best regards,
Andriy Korud

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: MCF52223 - phantom PORT TD?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 06:10:04 PM »
Hi Andrij

So you are using the M52223 now;-)

As you probably know, the PTD port is the 4 bit PWM port. This is available on the M5223X packages with 112/121 pins, but not on the 80 pin versions, but the PTD registers are still implemented as far as I know.

The M5221x and M5222X don't have this port (presumably due to lack of pins since they have 64 to 100 pin packages).
But the user manual does display it - as you have pointed out. I believe that this page is an error in the user manual.
However the user manual does have PTDPAR in the M5221x but not in the M5222x (where it is declared as reserved). This is even more confusing!

I tend to believe that both have no register implemented but it won't crash if an access is made to it (it just will not set a value). Therefore I have left the define in the header file. I am wondering whether it should be made conditional on _M5221X and/or _M5222X so that code will error if the user tries to access it?

When running the simulator, the port is not displayed, neither with the M5221x target or with the M5222x target. This is probably adequate to make the user aware that the port can not be used (plus the fact that there are no pins to be found on the chip..).

Yes, a little confusing, but not the only error in the manuals...

Regards

Mark

Offline akorud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:24:23 AM »
Hi Andrij

So you are using the M52223 now;-)

Thanks for the explanation.
Yes, we're starting next project without networking but with USB. So M52223 (and uTasker SP8 of course) is the best solution for us.
Previous M52233-based project is already in production.

Regards,
Andriy

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »
Hi Andrij

Good luck with the new USB project.

Note that there is a new document: http://www.utasker.com/docs/uTasker/uTaskerV1.3_USB_Demo.PDF
This is a high level guide to testing the USB demo which is platform independent ad should basically be compatible with the M5223X SP8.

In the document it can be seen that the simulator has been slightly modified and the hope is to have this ready in the form of SPs for all projects in the near future.

Regards

Mark