Author Topic: How to use simulator for CAN bus on SAM7X  (Read 8619 times)

Offline lthyagar

• View Profile
How to use simulator for CAN bus on SAM7X
« on: September 14, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »
Hello Mark, I have successfuly completed my first project ( GPS data)  using the utasker and simulator. I am able to display the positional, speed and bearing information on the LCD.
I am planning to start playing with CAN. How can I use the simulator with CAN bus?

Thanks!!
Lav

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: How to use simulator for CAN bus on SAM7X
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:57:36 PM »
Hi Lav

There is presently no CAN support in the SAM7X project (only in the Coldfire project as documented here: http://www.utasker.com/docs/uTasker/uTaskerCAN.PDF).

In fact the document is rather old now (originating from the V1.2 project) but does illustrate a technique used to connect the simulator to a real CAN bus, using an EVAL board to do a TCP/CAN converter interface, so that it could effectively be connected to the CAN bus using a TCP socket connection.

This support was however dropped in V1.3 due to the fact that it was seeming not actively used and so there didn't seem much point in porting it at the time.

The technique could be relevant for the SAM7x (as could feeding CAN messages using a script file) but again the fact that there is no existing driver means that this is only part of the work...

The demand for CAN has in fact been rather low - the main reason that it is not generally available in the project(s) - but it may be interesting to (one day) have a CANopen module.

Regards

Mark

Offline lthyagar

• View Profile
Re: How to use simulator for CAN bus on SAM7X
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 03:02:36 PM »
Hello Mark, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to give me the source for the cold fire project. I will try to port it to the SAM7X if possible.
Thanks!!
Lav