Author Topic: Replacement for uFileSystem?  (Read 10074 times)

Offline JuKu

• View Profile
Replacement for uFileSystem?
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »
Hi,

I am evaluating the uTasker for my next project, and so far, it looks like a winner. However, there are couple of issues I need to find or create. The application needs a filesystem with long filenames (at least 8.3, preferably true long) and directory structure; there is no way around this. There are filesystem libraries around (FAT and non-FAT). So, assuming the existence of a working filesystem library, could the uTasker system be made to work with that? Has anybody done that, and maybe could give me some guidance? If Mark is working with something like that, could you tell us about it? (I would hate to do a lot of work and next week, learn about an official, supported implementation of same...)

The web server, FTP and (if I decide it is needed) USB mass storage parts are likely those that need most work. I guess I could have an SPI chip in the hardware (not done yet) or modify the imaginary filesystem code to put aside a block for uFileSystem for parameter system and firmware updates. What else do I need to have a look at?

Thank you for your input!

Offline mhoneywill

• View Profile
Re: Replacement for uFileSystem?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:09:40 PM »
Hi JuKu,

The 6LoWPAN project mentioned in the link below, uses the EFSL FAT library I believe so that might be worth looking at. I think they have integrated it with uTasker.

Also I know USB / FAT / SD is all on Marks to-do list.

Cheers

Martin

See this link http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:00:01 PM »
Hi

Yes, I can confirm that there are a number of projects working together with available file systems. In fact most people seem to get it working without any real difficulties (although I don't have experience of trying this path).

It is also true that this support is planned and progress slowly beginning. It is a VERY important topic with the use of SD cards seemingly exploding in a huge amount of projects (for data logging, software updates etc.).

The uTasker integrated solution will not be available for some time (end of year is goal) since there are various developments to be performed (and a certain amount of experience to be built up).

Regards

Mark

Offline svl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:31:33 PM »
Hi JuKu

Have a look at the FatFs http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html.
The FasFs has direct support for SD card and can easily be added to the SPI port. (When adding a SD card to your own board remember to read alle the guideline regarding this....The SD card use a lot of power when a hot plug are done)
It is a generically FAT system that in theory will work with all processor and it has a small foot print.
The small footprint makes it possible also to include it into the bootloader.

Regards
Steen

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »
Hi All

Note that the utFAT module is now available in the uTasker project as standard, which supports FAT32 with optional long file name read support in its first version - specifically for SD card use. See the user's guide at http://www.utasker.com/docs/uTasker/uTasker_utFAT.PDF

Regards

Mark