Author Topic: uTasker as an AVR32 Studio project?  (Read 9636 times)

Offline JuKu

• View Profile
uTasker as an AVR32 Studio project?
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »
The simulator is great, but I think it is overly optimistic to think that I wouldn't need the JTAG ICE at all when the hardware arrives and I need to get all the peripherals working. Has anybody converted the AVR32 package to an AVR32 Studio project yet? I could do that myself (and I will, if I need to), but if I can save a day(?) of work by asking, I will be very grateful.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: uTasker as an AVR32 Studio project?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »
Hi

Yes of course a debugger is essential for most professional work. Some people manage to work with fnDebugMsg() outputs to aid in debugging on the target but serious projects will normally want target debugging capability.

Below are details about the AVR32 Studio project (which doesn't exist at the moment):

"The reason why an AVR32 project is not included is because the managed build option completely trashes the project when used for general work. The alternative is to reference the project files and supply a make file (the one on the GNU sub-directory of the project). AVR32 is essentially an editor which controls the make build so doesn't do anything special here but after a few days of attempting this (it works in Eclipse) and never receiving any support from the AVR freaks web site (the only one where support may be possible) we threw in the towel and gave up. The hope is that someone with AVR32 experience will solve the problem in 2 minutes flat and then it can be included. Of course the main advantage of the AVR32 studio is the programming and debugging part. The programming is fine but we only managed to get the debugging working on some older XP machines and never on any Vista laptops - again, after several weeks of trying and no feedback from AVR32 site we had to accept the situation and hope for some help in the future."

For info:
The first AVR32 package was developed 98% using GCC (as post VisualStudio build). The code that AVR32 studio generates 'would' be the same since it is using the same GCC binaries.
Most coding was performed in the simulator (the simulator was developed in parallel). In some cases it was necessary to debug on the target and this was performed with IAR and the JTAG Mk II debugger; this was restricted to low level code where the debugger is of most use.

Regards

Mark

P.S. I am convinced that someone with good AVR32 Studio experience (specifically of non-managed builds with user-supplied make file) could get the project up in 2 minutes. It was possible with Yagarto (SAM7X) but there have been some changes to the Eclipse layout since then and it is a bit of a jungle for new users (very powerful with a multitude of options but rather overwhelming when trying to do the simplest thing...)