Author Topic: Like to store web pages as a single .bin file  (Read 7599 times)

Offline seulater

• View Profile
Like to store web pages as a single .bin file
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:29:10 PM »
I was playing with the new PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit. They have a free utility which you can point to your web sire file folder and it will take all of them and produce a .bin file.
You can then take this .bin file and upload it to the board.
Since this is such an elegant method, as opposed to re-naming each of my web site files.
 i was wondering if it would be troublesome to do the same for uTasker ?

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Like to store web pages as a single .bin file
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »
Hi

See http://www.utasker.com/docs/uTasker/uTaskerUserFiles.PDF sections 7.1 and 7.2.

The uTaskerFileCreate utility allows files to be packed into a header file for including into a project, or to be packed into a single file so that a complete set of web pages etc. can be loaded as one file. It is also used to convert BMP files to an C-file format for including images in code for displaying with the uGLCDLIB (it is this quite easy to create a set of embedded icons etc. for use with a graphic LCD).

This is probably similar to the PIC32 utility - although not necessary identical - it requires a list of files, each of which can be given different properties, but I suppose it could be modified quite easily to accept a complete directory or wild cards to automate adding complete folder content if that were to be of advantage. A further advantage is that it allows the files to be viewed and referenced by full file names (no renaming) but still achieves fast file access (similar to uFileSystem speed) and can also be used together with uFileSystem files.

Finally note that the new utFAT support allows huge web content to be copied from a PC to an SD card and then served by the web server. It supports reading long directories and long file names so no change is required - just copy a few GBytes of existing web site content to the correct directory and that's it... (the utFAt user's guide explains this - http://www.utasker.com/docs/uTasker/uTasker_utFAT.PDF - whereby the HTTP root directory on the SD card and start side are defined in config.h)

Regards

Mark

Offline seulater

• View Profile
Re: Like to store web pages as a single .bin file
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
Thanks Mark, my bad for not reading more.
I guess i am just trying to do to much to fast in evaluating it.