Author Topic: P+E multilink debugger/flash setup for M52235EVB and Codewarrior V.70  (Read 10827 times)

Offline thamanjd

• View Profile
I wonder if anyone has a step by step for setting up utasker for the P&EMicro colfire multilink bdm for codewarrior V7.0?
i'm not sure which initialisation file (.cfg) or flash settings file (.xml) i should be using. 

current settings:
flash settings file: MCF52235_INTFLASH.xml
Target processor: 52235
Connection: PEMICRO_USB
device:CFM_MCF55235
initialisation file:M52235EVB.cfg   (doesnt do anything without custom settings)

Trying to erase settings gets me:
 "Downloading Flash Device Driver ..."
--something flashes up too fast to read--
"Initializing...  "
 "Reading init return status   " 
"Run the target  "
"System clock check checking ... "
"Error:  System clock check failed  See Details for additional information."

Details:
 Flash driver reports the following error(s):  Operation Unsupported  Timed Out  Verify failed

Ideas anyone?

John Dowdell

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Hi John

I didn't understand the question at first, but after putting the Coldfire project V1.3.0 + SP7 on a different PC and converting to CW7.0 it didn't debug. It looks as though debugger settings are lost when converting to CW7.0.

To correct this, use the following settings in the Target Settings Panel:
Debugger | CF Debugger Settings - Target Processor = 52235, use target initialization File checked, with path {Project}cfg\M52235EVB_PnE.cfg

This should be all you need to be able to connect and debug (the register display will also work).

When programming FLASH it is always necessary to select the Target Configuration once before working. This is in Flash Programmer, where you choose Load Settings and select MCF52235_INTFLASH.xml. This will then configure everything else.

The name of this file has thus changes slightly in the CW7.0 release but otherwise the operation is the same as in the uTasker tutorial. http://www.utasker.com/docs/M5223X/uTaskerV1.3-Tutorial-M5223X_003.PDF - page 12/34.

Good luck!!

Regards

Mark

Offline thamanjd

• View Profile
Thanks. I beleive the configuration you described was one that i tried but didnt work.

I ended up having to wizard a new project. Seeing that i could now erase the flash properly i copied the uTasker files into the new project. It appears to have erased and flashed ok and ftp and web/http are working.

For anyone else doing this you can:
- disable or delete MCUinit.c and MCUinit.h if it gets generated
- disable the .a files in the "Libs" group folder
- disable or delete startcf.h and startcf.c if they get generated
- ive left cfm.c until i figure out what it does
-disable or delete support_common.h

use uTasker's:
Startup.s
flash_config.s
M5223X.c
M5223x.h

- delete or disable the generated linker (.lcf) file for FLASH/ROM
 grab the .lcf file from the uTasker project where all the other files were copied from and make that the lcf file for this project.

dont forget to enable the added or replace files with the "dot" in the target column.

There's also a bunch of target settings like precompiler defines etc which can be copied off the other uTasker project.

The other flash programming settings are as Mark has indicated.

JD

Offline Richard

• View Profile
This is reminiscent of my experience with SP6 and version 7.0 of CodeWarrior (see http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=185). I'm still not quite sure how I got them working together -- which is inhibiting my upgrading my project to SP7.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Hi Richard

In SP6 there was a change to some CW settings to reduce code size so there may be something which caused a problem, together with the fact that CW7 really seems to 'sometimes' lose settings during the conversion from CW6.X to CW7.

SP7 changes are purely in code so I wouldn't expect there to be risk involved when already working with CW7. The CW project does contain another build (for M5221X) but this part could be left out of the update.

Regards

Mark

Offline thamanjd

• View Profile
i had previously read a bit of that earlier topic but as it sounded like you were able to erase and flash so it didnt quite sound like the same problem. I'll admit that i have no idea at least in my case what the difference is between converting a project and starting a new project with imported files from the old one.