Author Topic: Which functions are thread-safe?  (Read 7122 times)

Offline Predielis

• View Profile
Which functions are thread-safe?
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »
Is it possible to call uMemcpy and fnSendUDP from inside a PIT timer interrupt handler? At the same time I would be receiving through a callback function set up with fnGetUDP_Socket.

From time to time the application stops in the unhandled interrupt function, and it seems that a memory corruption happens inside uMemcpy.
uMemcpy does not seem to be reentrant, when using DMA. I did a quick test disabling and enabling interrupts inside of this function, but I still have crashes. This event is rare, so it's not easy to debug.
fnSendUDP too seems to be risky.

What is the best way to handle this problem?

Thanks.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Which functions are thread-safe?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »
Hi

uMemcpy() should be safe. It is also re-entrant due to the fact that it only uses DMA when the DMA channel is free - if there is a DMA operation in progress it will fall-back to a normal loop copy.

I wouldn't recommend using Ethernet writes from an interrupt due to the fact that a write into the Ethernet Tx buffer could be interrupted by another write - the result being a corrupted Ethernet frame. I don't see why this would result in an exception but there may be a chance somewhere that is more difficult to see.
Note that writes to the Ethernet buffer are not protected since they can take several hundred us - depending on processor speed - and it is assumed that all Ethernet writes are from code and not interrupts.

Therefore I would use the interrupt routine that you have to flag that the UDP transmission is required (eg. sending an event to a task). The task can then send the data, which will avoid any risks.

This risk is also present when using fnDebugMsg() on a TELNET connection when the debug output is from an interrupt routine. I have in fact been thinking that fnDebugMsg() - as well as fnDebugHex() etc. could identify whether it is being called from within an interrupt routine (not sure how yet but probably possible) and, if it is, do a deferred debug output write rather than a direct TELNET one (meaning that it probably calls an Ethernet transmission). That would probably result in it putting the output message to a temporary buffer and sending an event to the debug task. The debug task would then send the buffer content to the debug output (in a safe fashion).

Regards

Mark

Offline Predielis

• View Profile
Re: Which functions are thread-safe?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:05:24 AM »
Thanks, very clear as always.
I don't think my code ever have the TX interrupting TX behaviour, so why the exception happens is still not clear. It seems TX over RX breaks things.
Anyway the TX inside a task seems to solve the problem.

Regards.