Author Topic: UART in Simulator  (Read 10272 times)

Offline rad

• View Profile
UART in Simulator
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »
Hi Mark,

I would like to use UART in simulator on PC, but want to send and receive chars on same PC. The same style like telnet (I open telnet terminal on the same PC like simulated device, and send data from terminal to the device or back). But If I try the same in UART mode, simulator open COM1 and I cannot connect it by hyperterminal for example (reason is known, windows not allow share COM ports-just scan it by comlite or similar sw).

Well, question is, If I have to connect two PCs together (one with simulated device and second one with terminal, because I dont have two uarts in PC so I cannot bypass them by cable), or If exist any other solution how to send and receive data to simulated device from the same PC.

Thank You, regards, Rad

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: UART in Simulator
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »
Hi Rad

To simulate the UART it it mapped to a COM port. It is only possible to open a COM port once so you will either need to connect to a COM port of another PC using a cross-over-cable, or else to a different port on the same PC (also using cross-over-cable). Since many new PCs have only one COM port (or none at all), it may be necessary to use a USB-RS232 adapter for the second COM port.

Regards

Mark

Offline rad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 03:20:29 PM »
Hi Mark,

You shortly said what I expected..but I have bad experience with USB to COM devices. Anyway today I start simulator and when it fetching time from time server, It displays strange symbols on bottom line. I red some article about it and how to sort it out, here on the forum, but cannot find it again. Do You know where this article is, please?

Again, thank You for Your support and have a nice day, regards, Rad

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 03:30:43 PM »
Hi Rad

I have used USB-RS-232 converts and have found that they work quite well. The only problem that I have with the one I use is that it sometimes gets blocked in XOFF mode (sometimes as a result of incorrect settings) and I have to unplug it and plug it back in again. This however is quite rare.

Recently reading an Elektor article about the "Coldfire Butler" (I don't have a link to it at the moment but know that a lot of people were interested by it) - a project to control a relay via an M5223X via Internet - I was very surprised as to what they wrote about the fact that the configuration was via RS232. They wrote that USB-RS232 converters are not advisable and one should find a PC with COM, or try to borrow one if theirs doesn't have a COM port.... I think this is taking to the limits of extremety...!

I think you are referring to the follow thread started by MarcV:
http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=266.msg1045#msg1045

Regards

Mark