Author Topic: Error when compiling uTasker on AT91SAM7X256  (Read 10305 times)

Offline bojal204

• View Profile
Error when compiling uTasker on AT91SAM7X256
« on: January 08, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »
Hi i am using IAR EWB and when I try to compile and debug the project I get an error message. Can anyone help me with this please? Would really like to try uTasker out.

"Fatal Error[e86]: Too much object code produced (more then 0x8000 bytes) for this package

Regards
Bojan

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Error when compiling uTasker on AT91SAM7X256
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 04:21:10 PM »
Hi Bojan

It seems as though you are using a 32k limited edition of the IAR compiler.

You will need to deactivate some parts of the project to allow it to compile. Open config.h and then deactivate some things like serial interface, SMTP etc. To remove lareg amounts of code deactivate UDP and TCP - this should shrink the project size to a few kbytes and then, after you have confirmed that it otherwise builds correctly, you can add services. Each time you build the project you can monitor the complete project size to get an idea of which services need to be avoided to stay within the size range allowed by the limited compiler version. It is still possible to make some quite useful projects even with the code size restriction.

Later you can decide whether to purchase the IAR full version or move to the GNU compiler (see the following thread for more details: http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=34.0). Check out also the Rowley Crossworks solution for the SAM7X which is available at a very attractive price for personal use but delivers a world-class solution which will work without having to learn to configure the OpenSource tools:.
http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=67.0

Regards

Mark
PS: To remove services in config.h simple comment-out certain defines.
Eg. //#define SERIAL_INTERFACE to remove UART support
or //#define USE_TCP to remove TCP and all TCP based protocols

Offline bojal204

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:47:55 PM »
Okey thank you for your fast and very clear reply. It works when a disable USE_IP but i would like to have that in my project. Following your tutorial and wish to use IAR EWB :-[

Regard
Bojan
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:55:18 PM by bojal204 »

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 02:33:24 PM »
Hi Bojan

Removing IP will of course remove all TCP/IP and leave very little else. I get about 8k of code when I do this.

When I set up the following TCP and UDP protocols and I get about 30k code size (also serial deactivated).

Code: [Select]
TCP: (FTP and HTTP enabled)
            #define USE_FTP                                              // enable FTP   - needs TCP
          //#define USE_SMTP                                             // enable SMTP  - needs TCP
          //#define USE_POP3                                             // enable POP3 Email - needs TCP
            #define USE_HTTP                                             // support embedded Web server - needs TCP
          //#define USE_TELNET                                           // enable TELNET support
          //#define USE_TIME_SERVER                                      // enable time server support - presently demo started in application

UDP: (DHCP and DNS active but DNS can also be removed since it is only really needed with SMTP)
Code: [Select]
            #define USER_UDP_SOCKETS       1                             // we reserve  one non-standard UDP socket in case the UDP demo is required

//#define USE_BOOTP                                            // enable BOOTP - needs UDP - IPCONFIG default zero.
            #define USE_DHCP                                             // enable DHCP  - needs UDP - IPCONFIG default zero. Needs 1k Ethernet RX Buffers!! (set random number also)
            #define USE_DNS                                              // enable DNS   - needs UDP
          //#define USE_TFTP                                             // enable TFTP  - needs UDP
          //#define USE_NETBIOS                                          // enable NetBIOS - needs UDP

Regards

Mark

Offline bojal204

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »
Thank you very much!  :)