Author Topic: STM32F746G-DISCO configuration  (Read 6533 times)

Offline ssinfod

• View Profile
STM32F746G-DISCO configuration
« on: November 14, 2016, 06:39:08 PM »
Hello,

I downloaded and extracted the file "uTaskerV1.4.3_STM32.zip".
(reference: http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1697.0;attach=651)

The utasker STM32 webpage says that there is 'out of the box' support for the "STM32F746G-DISCO" board.
http://www.utasker.com/stm32.html

However, I don't see any "STM32F746G_port.h" in the "\uTaskerV1.4.3_STM32\Hardware\STM32" folder.

Is the support files of this board only available in the commercial version of uTasker STM32 ?

Also, I would like to know what is the general status of utasker for the STM32.
Indeed, the last release (1.4.3) has been made on 2014-05-24. (which is more than 2 years old)
Is there active development of the STM32 branch of uTasker ?
Is it recommended for new development (new project) ?

On a similar subject, recently Qualcomm did purchase Freescale/NXP.
Does it have any impact on the uTasker RTOS developement ?

What is the general status of uTasker ?
Is it planned to be supported for another few years ? (Should I consider Freertos instead of uTasker ?)

Thanks for your time,

ssinfod

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: STM32F746G-DISCO configuration
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 08:01:31 PM »
Hi ssinfod

The STM32F746 DISCO is include in the developer's version at:
http://www.utasker.com/stm32/developers.html

If you don't have access I will send you the key for it in the next few minutes. This version is from 25.8.2015 - there have been some updates for commercial users but there haven't been published.

There are a number of STM32 projects in progress but it is not a preferred platform at the moment - main activity is with Kinetis parts. Activity is usually reserved for real project requirements due to this.

The STM32 project has in fact always worked very well for the projects that use it and haven't needed anything special outside of that which is supported. Therefore there is no reason why it shouldn't be used for most new work either; if there were more projects to support and some support from ST etc. it could become the main focus again but presently it is Kinetis that has this position.

NXP took over Freescale some time ago. Apart from the fact that NXP wrote to me to say that they no longer wanted me to be a partner (without any explanation) and I had to remove all references to the partnership that I had previously had with Freescale (HCS12, Coldfire, Kinetis) for about 10 years this changed nothing. I don't imagine the merger with Qualcomm will change anything either. The uTasker project is not funded in any way by chip manufacturers and is thus totally independent as of the time of writing.

If all goes to plan I expect to continue developing the uTasker project for another (approx.) 17 years, after which I may look for someone to take it over. The development directions and supported devices are not defined but they go with the flow and the user's requests...

uTasker and FreeRTOS are very different things - each has advantages and disadvantages, so the best one to use depends on the exact projects and personal preferences. I estimate there are no disadvantages of uTasker in 95% of (real-world) projects and the Flash/RAM footprint seems to be a lot smaller than most other solutions.

Presently I love the Kinetis parts; I wish that NXP (or whoever buys them next) would at least give a little credit that I have helped develop hundreds of Coldfire/Kinetis based products much faster than is possible with their own (rather awkward and flaky) packages; I find the STM parts fiddly and therefore don't really like them much, but know that they work very well..........

Regards

Mark