Author Topic: LM3S6965 eval board ok!  (Read 9896 times)

Offline TimC

• View Profile
LM3S6965 eval board ok!
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »
Got my LM3S6965 working today. Had only one glitch.  Overall seems quite solid for a beta.  FTP, Web and telnet all worked for me
Tim

The one issue is:

When using CrossStudio I can not download or debug.  I get the message "cannot load memory map file" and the Target log says download failed.  I see the .map file in the Flash release and debug  directory so I am not sure about how to correct the project error. To get around the problem I downloaded the compiled .bin file through The Luminary Micro Flash Programmer which worked fine.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: LM3S6965 eval board ok!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:50:18 PM »
Hi Tim

I have to admit having some difficulties with debugging with Crossworks - I used 1.7 Build 7 (I think the newest that can be downloaded). My experience was like this:
- I could in fact download without any problems using the LM USB JTAG interface on-board.
- I could also download using Segger J-Link (I did have to load the newest DLL since the one I was otherwise using was a bit old...)
- I could also download using Rowley CrossConnect
- and I could also download using Olimex ARM-USB-ODC

So in fact I didn't have any downloading difficulties....

I could however only debug with Segger J-Link - the others would briefly connect and then lose connection, or give an error message about an error when reading from memory.

With the J-Link I could only debug when connecting after code was already running. Then everythng worked well. If I had to restart I found that I had to disconnect, power down the target, power up the target and reconnect and then everthing was fine again (until next reset). A reset alone just gave errors about not being able to read from memory.

I don't want to dwell on this because I can't be sure that it is not a local installation problem - I could work adequately to solve a few problems that I had when completing the Rowley GCC project. Working with IAR and the LM USB JTAG was fine - a little slow due to the interface  and with Segger J-Link also no problems.

I didn't see the error with the memory map file but you could check target processor setting: Build Options -> Target Processor. There is a list of Luminary devices displayed - I believe the LM3S6965 is set - and I don't know how critical this actually is. Have you also installed the Luminary BSP from Rowley? http://www.rowleydownload.co.uk/arm/packages/

Regards

Mark

Offline TimC

• View Profile
Re: LM3S6965 eval board ok!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:49:40 AM »
Thanks for your help Mark. Turns out that I had an old version of the LM3Sxxxx package 1.3 vs the current at 1.6.
Tim