Author Topic: no DHCP client name in router client list?  (Read 10295 times)

MarcV

no DHCP client name in router client list?
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:45:35 PM »
...and here's yet another question about the uTasker.
When I'm running the demo project (or what I'm making of it) in simulation, I notice on my router that the DHCP address is in the DHCP client list, but the client name field remains empty. Is this a uTasker thing or could this be the router? (3com 3CRWER200-75)
I have reduced the name (the one netbios uses) to a 5 character long string by the way. I expect this might also be the name that should appear in the DHCP client list...

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: no DHCP client name in router client list?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:52:57 PM »
Hi Marc

The question is, how is your router is getting the name of the client?
It is logical that the router (acting as DHCP server) can list the clients which it allocated a configuration to, therefore you are seeing the address of the simulated device. But maybe it is not using NetBios to get a device name for its display.

Try to record the DHCP process and then wait a little and see whether it maybe uses a different protocol to try to discover the device name. Alternatively watch aother device (whcih has a name displayed) to see whether it maybe uses some DHCP options to obtain a name (I don't know of such options but I haven't studied DHCP for a long time now so may have just forgotten...)

I am assuming that the device is otherwise being correctly addresses using its NetBIOS name.

Regards

Mark