Author Topic: Cortex M3 based processor with integrated EMAC + PHY  (Read 14413 times)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Cortex M3 based processor with integrated EMAC + PHY
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:01:45 PM »
Hi All

Some one pointed out to me a chip from Luminary Micro (http://www.luminarymicro.com/home/home.html).
It is from their Stellaris family of processor with 25MHz / 50MHz CortexTM-M3 (new ARM) in 100 pin LQFP.
16..64k RAM and 64..256k FLASH.
Internal 10/100MHz EMAC + PHY!!
Various peripherals including UART, I2C, ADC, SPI, RTC - 5V tolerant I/Os etc.

Who knows more about it or has even ordered the evaluation board?

It sounds good - but is it too good to be true? It seems very new...

Any comments??

Regards

Mark

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Cortex M3 based processor with integrated EMAC + PHY
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 09:59:02 PM »
Hi All

To anyone near to me (in Switzerland) I have just found out that the company Computer Controls AG is a new distributor for Luminary Micro.

There is a Luminary ARM Cortex-M3 seminar on 26.9.2007 in Zurich (8:45..16:45) costing CHF 95.- including a Basic Development Kit

See http://www.ccontrols.ch/LuminarySeminar.htm

I will be going, to see what it is all about....

The seminar is repeated one day later in Lausanne for French speakers in Switzerland.

Regards

Mark

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Cortex M3 based processor with integrated EMAC + PHY
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 01:58:11 AM »
Hi All

I attended the above mentioned seminar today where we learned all about the Cortex M3 core. It is certainly a good thing and is faster than ARM7 - it operates with Thumb-2 instruction set (always so doesn't need to change between ARM and Thumb) and can expect to deliver around 25% more performance than ARM7 ARM mode with the code density of ARM7 thumb.

The interrupt controller has been completely revised so that it supports 240 interrupts with programmable priorities. Interrupt routines operate within 12 cycles - much faster than previous ARMs.

But it was specifically about the Luminary processors.

Luminary was started in 2004 (by a Cortex M3 designer...) and now offers 84 different processors with varying memory sizes and peripherals up to the device with CAN and Ethernet 10/100 with on-board PHY. This is indeed impressive stuff and development is pushing on to possibly include USB as well as smaller packages like BGA.

So I stocked up on some nice development boards which I could pick up when there. As well as the LM3S1968 which was offered as part of the seminar packet, an LM3S6965 (Ethernet) and LP3S8962 (Ethernet and CAN) have taken place in my trophy cabinet. These are delivered with inbuild USB JTAG debugger and are reasonably priced (especially at the seminar rate...!).

I had a nice chat with Chris L. from Luminary Micro and he gave some contact details for technical support. I must say I like what I have seen - it is all very new but the kits are just what developers need to get started. I wish them all luck with what could be a great future - time will tell and maybe there will soon be real benchmarks from practical tests to prove the theory.

Regards

Mark

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 02:16:36 PM by mark »