Author Topic: Google's Chrome gives error  (Read 4589 times)

Offline alager

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
Google's Chrome gives error
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:05:04 PM »
Has anyone gotten Google's Chrome to work on the web server?
I get a weird error:

This webpage is not available.
The webpage at http://192.168.10.91/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
  More information on this error
Below is the original error message

Error 320 (net::ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE): Unknown error.

Aaron

Offline mark

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3191
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Google's Chrome gives error
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:20:32 PM »
Hi Aaron

Chrome is a bit strange and it deviates a little from other web browsers. Here is a copy of an email that I sent when looking into this about two months ago when it was first noticed that Chrome wouldn't even display a web page.

Quote
I don’t think that you have tested with Google’s Chrome – I found that it didn’t allow any HTTP operation with the uTasker HTTP server due to the fact that the server doesn’t report “HTTP Version 200 OK” as answer to each request. Chrome doesn’t like this and immediately resets the connection. The error message is a bit misleading since it states that the server cannot be found.
So I added a fix for this.

Then I found that parameter posting didn’t work either (file posting did though). It turned out that Chrome handles this a little differently and, especially interesting for you, it doesn’t post any parameters in the first TCP frame!! Instead it uses the first TCP frame that it sends purely for header content, followed by the data. This is something which we discussed earlier and so I had no choice but to handle this over two frames (not multiple since the restriction is still that the complete data should be in once frame – but the data can be longer since it is the only content…).

I haven’t heard any complaints about this just yet but they are sure to come so I have a trial patch ready.
In case you need to check this out with Chrome I have attached the files needed. In HTTP.c just look for SUPPORT_CHROME. In tcpip.h I added a new HTTP state HTTP_STATE_DOING_PARAMETER_POST as well as an optimization for the simulator (iFetchingInternalMemory in the HTTP struct) which is not needed unless actually working with the simulator.

As you can see there is a patch available which has been tested successfully for some time now. It hasn't found its way into any service packs in the mean time though.

There are a number of changes in the HTTP required and so it is not possible to post these here. If you would like to receive these (with fixes as per the email) please contact me per email and I will send them to you.

Regards

Mark

PS. Additional finds (which are solved in even newer development versions are:
"In the case of posting ASCII files  CHROME doesn’t advertise the file type at all – so a missing file type has to be considered as plain text…). It also closes HTTP1.0 connections with TCP resets rather than FINs (a bit strange) – a few too many differences in the details for my liking…"

Offline alager

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
Re: Google's Chrome gives error
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:31:43 PM »
Thanks Mark.  I'll put that on the back burner for now.  Maybe when I'm done with my project, a new SP will be available which will address it.  Either way it's not critical, specially since Chrome is still beta.

Aaron