Author Topic: USB Serial Port Driver Problem for Windows 10  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Phil

• View Profile
USB Serial Port Driver Problem for Windows 10
« on: February 26, 2020, 08:25:01 PM »
Mark,

Having troubles with a Windows 10 64-bit user that can't seem to see my uTasker/K64F USB Serial port. When connecting the our uTasker system, the user sees a unknown USB device error message. Going to the Device Manager, Ports (COM & LPT) there is no new COM ports.

Per, https://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=1960.msg7259#msg7259, and the USB Users Guide, I had him install "uTaskerFreescaleMultiVirtualCOM1-6_64bit.inf" but nothing really changed.

I have had some minor success by unloading the USB Composite Device from the Universal Serial Bus controllers section of the Device Manager. When I reconnect the USB between his PC and my system it loads up with an error about an unknown USB device but it then continues with a recognition of the USB device (I know this because it says my product name "Avolana"). However, it still will not load the USB Serial Port drivers.

Interestingly, I used the bootloader and this same device and I was able to drag and drop a new version of the firmware so I know it is seeing the USB-MSD drivers correctly.

This board connects to other Windows 10 PCs without ANY troubles.

Any ideas what is going on?  Suggestions?

Thank you.

Phil

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: USB Serial Port Driver Problem for Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 09:01:42 PM »
Phil

When there is a message about an unknown device it tends to mean that enumeration was not successful and not that a driver couldn't be installed - Win 10 doesn't need any driver for USB-CDC

It sounds as though there may be something marginal with the board/PC - eg. the USB voltage is not well stabilised. It could be that when different firmware runs and the CPU has a different current load that the threshold varies.

You say that the board works with different PCs but do you know whether different boards work with the PC in question?

Regards

Mark

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 09:07:43 PM »
Mark,

I have not tried to use other products of ours. The customer only has this one unit of ours. We can certainly send him another unit, if that is our best option at this point.

Regards,

Phil

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 08:21:30 PM »
Mark,

I have another of these situations with a KL27 MCU. The MCU connected to a Windows 10 machine shows a "USB device not recognized".  On this device, I am using the setting USB_CRYSTAL_LESS setting to use the internal 48kHz clock.

#elif defined MY_KL27Z_BOARD
    #define RUN_FROM_HIRC                                                // clock from internal 48MHz RC clock
    #define BUS_CLOCK_DIVIDE     2                                       // bus and flash clock divider value (1..8)
    #define USB_CRYSTAL_LESS                                             // use 48MHz IRC as USB source (according to Freescale AN4905 - only possible in device mode) - rather than external pin

I did modify the "product_str[]" descriptor name. I am also using Kinetis' PID/VID designation.

Finally, I am using both USB-CDC and the DEMO_UART port.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Phil
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:23:34 PM by Phil »

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 10:04:44 PM »
Problem resolved.

Apparently, I had an interference issue with another piece of software. I shut down all pieces of software (KDS, Segger JLink, etc.) and was about to restart by PC when I noticed the USB was connecting without an error (simple beep). Once I removed the RS232 port, I was able to connect via USB-CDC virtual COM port as expected. Weird!

Thank you anyway.

Phil