Author Topic: LPC24XX vs uTasker tutorial - irregularities  (Read 10662 times)

Offline mr_theo

• View Profile
LPC24XX vs uTasker tutorial - irregularities
« on: May 03, 2013, 12:32:46 AM »
Hi all

I'm new to the uTasker. I've just started getting to know it with help of the demo tutorial. While I was going through it, I noticed that in few places (I'm only few steps into the tutorial) outcome from Visual Studio is quite different than what the tutorial states. I'm not quite sure whether it is a big deal, so I thought it would be better to simply ask. So here goes:

I'm opening VisualStudio workspace and going through basic preparations (chip type, header, ip address). When I try to execute it, there's this message:

I find it really no big deal, so I just go with it. Visual Studio builds the project just fine. But then, another error message appears on the screen:

And the reason to this is quite obvious. Files in \Debug\ folder are named differently than the uTasker expects them to.

So I just rename them, deleting "V1-4" part. But it's only a workaround, not a proper solution, because after renaming them, when trying to start the demo, this screen appears:

If I press "yes", it starts correctly and seems to be working fine (can ping it, can access the http server through browser). Anyway, I was hoping I could tweak some lines in order to get rid of these errors, as I fear that although the demo works just fine now, later on there could be consequences.
So, long story short, the question is - how to get rid of these errors? What lines to change? Where to look for them? So far I've been unsuccessful in finding the code that is resposible for such a behaviour.

If it matters, I'm using Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop - just as you can seen on one of the screenshots.

Many thanks for your responses
Rafal

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: LPC24XX vs uTasker tutorial - irregularities
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:56:10 PM »
Hi Rafal

The project contains VS projects for VS6.0 and VS2012. When changing between VS6.0 and VS2012 it is necessary to command a rebuild of the entire project otherwise there can be some problems with one version of VS trying to use files built by the other.

I would first try a complete rebuild since it may then process without any strange behaviour.

Regards

Mark

Offline mr_theo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:46:52 PM »
Rebuilding it doesn't do the job - still the same error codes.

Running it on VS 6 works just fine - no errors, no problems. It is still very impractical, though, as I am running on Win7, which VS 6 doesn't cooperate with.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:04:35 PM »
Hi

Please check that you are using the latest release (older ones didn't have VS2010/VS2012 support). To be sure, I just downloaded the latest software and tried with VS2012 and couldn't reprodce any problems. Here is what I did:

1. Starting with fresh project directory from [V1.4-8 19.09.2012 http://www.uTasker.com/software/V1.4/uTaskerV1.4_LPC-8.zip] - double click on "uTaskerV1-4.vcxproj" to open VS2012
The project is in fact in VS2010 format and so has to be converted - VS2012 automatically asks whether it should convert, so respond with OK

2. After the conversion has taken place a complete rebuild can be performed (the default target is set to build also a GCC target but the target can be changed to "uTaskerLPC2XXX" from "uTaskerLPC2XXX plus GNU Build" if GCC is not installed)

3. The build should take place without any errors and the simulator can then be started with F5 - the MCB2300 board from Keil is seen if no other configuration settings were made.

Please try using the same steps to see whether you can identify what is going wrong.

Regards

Mark

P.S. VS6 has some restrictions under Windows 7 but is still useable (I use it mostly since it is so much faster to work with than newer VS versions). One must avoid trying to open a file (dragging it to the wondow works) or saving to a new file since it will crash but otherwise it behaves fairly well.

Offline mr_theo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:50:07 PM »
Yes, it's working now without any errors.
What was the problem? I was following the official tutorial, which stated that it's *dsw file that is to be opened. Since I am using VC2012, it is *vcxproj file that should be run. Outdated tutorial + following it blindly = problems :D

Thank you for your help!

Offline mr_theo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:34:58 PM »
Got another question.

I'm using Olimex LPC2468 demo board, and I tried flashing already prepared *hex file onto my board. The file was prepared for 2478, my board is 2468. It doesn't work. I flash it using flash magic, connect my PC and demoboard via etheret cable, set my ethernet interface to a proper subnet (192.168.0.xx), but I can't neither ping nor connect via browser to the board.
Is this a normal behaviour and 2478 file doesn't work on 2468 or is something wrong again, probably my fault?

Here's the file I flash:
http://www.utasker.com/software/LPC23XX/uTaskerV14_LPC2478-STK.zip

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »
Hi

The LPC2468 and LPC2478 should be compatible for most code (as long as certain peripherals in the bigger chip are not used).
However I think that the problem in this case is that the SW is for the Olimex Evaluation board (with LCD controller/TFT) and not for the smaller demo board which probabyl has I/O connected to different pins or use different PHY or UARTs etc.

Since the SW is trying to control the TFT controller it may be exceptioning when doing this on the other chip (which probabyl doesn't have the controller).

Therefore I would suggest building the project for the board that you have:
- you could probably start with the STK setup but remove the LCD (SUPPORT_TFT and SUPPORT_GLCD)
- maybe some other configurations also need adjusting for compatibility too

Generally it is a good idea to start with the simplest project (also disabled Ethernet [ETH_INTERFACE] etc.) to just get an LED blinking. Then add peripherals one at a time to ensure that each is correctly setup to match the board.

Regards

Mark