Author Topic: Swapping MCUs mid-production  (Read 2432 times)

Offline AlexS

• View Profile
Swapping MCUs mid-production
« on: April 14, 2021, 04:14:28 PM »
Hi,

The MCU we were using, MK66FN2M0VLQ18 is unfortunately hit by the worldwide chip supply shortage and won't be available for another year. So currently trying to asses the feasibility of switching to a similar MCU, while keeping our new firmware compatible with the old MCU (customers can do firmware updates and we don't want to double the number of firmware lines we maintain). The processor I think would work well is the MK26FN2M0VLQ18, as we aren't using any of the extra features on the K66. What changes would be required in the firmware for this switch? As far as I can tell, the clock configuration stays the same and the linker file is identical given that it's also a 2MB and 256KB of RAM device. Anything we're missing?

Thanks!

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: Swapping MCUs mid-production
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »
Hi Alex

If your K66 firmware is not using Ethernet there is a good chance that it will run on a K26 as it is.
If there proves to be something that needs to be adjusted it will not be large but to be sure you will need to test the alternative device.

Regards

Mark

Offline AlexS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 06:37:14 PM »
Thanks for the speedy reply as always, Mark. Unfortunately the factory wasn't able to secure that stock and we're now faced with the possibility of swapping to a totally different MCU. I'm wondering, how extensive would the porting operation be for the following types of changes:
1. Swap to another Kinetis with a slightly altered memory structure and package
2. Swap to another Kinetis with another Cortex core
3. Swap to a totally different MCU family, hopefully still with a Cortex core.

Thanks!

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 01:10:34 AM »
Hi Alex

I can run Kinetis projects on any Kinetis part that supports the peripheral being used (with fairly minor project setting changes - mainly port mapping).

The same is true on STM32 parts although there may be a bit more effort for some peripherals, depending on which ones were used and whether the alternatives have compatible operation or not.

Presently I am focusing on iMX RTs which are highly Kinetis-compatible - for example their HSUSB is effectively identical. They are cheap and fast and it is easy to move Kinetis based projects to them - porting is usually not really any more complicated than moving between Kinetis parts and I can also run any Kinetis project on any i.MX RT part that has the necessary peripherals. The i.MX RT parts are newer than Kinetis parts and are thus preferred for new developments to ensure longevity.

A lot of people are in the same situation due to the present supply shortage and so it is becoming the part that can actually be obtained that is dictating the one used in new designs and also in some cases forcing  a fast transfer exercise to keep present products in production.

In my opinion uTasker is very suitable in this situation since it has always focused on compatibility between parts in a single family and also across families in order to avoid lock-in to a particular manufacturer. Functionality transfer between parts and families is thus neither usually complicated nor time-consuming and can realistically give this needed flexibility and freedom in such times.

Fast project transfer support is offered and included in the project support to help simplify and exclude risks in critical situations.

Regards

Mark