Author Topic: ethernet direct connection problem  (Read 10691 times)

Offline Kuroro

• View Profile
ethernet direct connection problem
« on: February 24, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Hi

I actually try the utasker demo with the web server, when i plug the board and my computer to a switch everything work's fine, the ftp and the web server.
But when i connect directly the board to the computer with a crossover cable the connection is unstable and some time i lost the connection when i tried to access to the web server.

When i look what happen with wireshark it seem that some tcp segment was lost.

Did they have some special option to set for a direct connection ?

Thank's

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
Re: ethernet direct connection problem
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »
Hi

Which chip are you using - with internal or external PHY (which PHY)?
See whether there is a difference when set to auto-negotiation, fixed 10 or 100M etc.
The M5223X (with internal PHY) have problems with auto-negotiation (see the tutorial) but generally this means that they never operate with some types of connection.

Regards

Mark

Offline Kuroro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »
Hi mark thanks for your answer

I use a M52259 chip on a custom board but i also have the 52259 demo board.

My custom board use the same external PHY than the one used in the demo board , in fact i reuse the hardware design of the demo board for the ethernet part.

When i try the same program on my board and on the demo board for a direct connection test, the demo board work but no my board, and if i plug them on a switch they will both work.

I've tried many parameter like sepcify the speed, disable the full_duplex but they won't change anything.

One strange thing with utasker and my board is that utasker is don't be able to read PHY adresse during initialisation phase and return a 0xFFFFFFFF adress and so on shut down the ethernet so i forced to bypass this test to enable ethernet.

I don't think's it's involved in the probleme but i'm no sure.

Best regard   

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
Hi

I would certainly follow up on the problem with the PHY not communicating via the maintenance interface; depending on which connection mode is used there are some settings which are also commanded to the PHY which may not be fully operational if the maintenance link is not good.

Check the PHY address - maybe it is somehow taking a different value on power-up to the one on the demo board? By setting SCAN_PHY_ADD the code will scan all possible addresses to see whether one matches. Also check the MDIO and MDC lines to ensure that they are correctly connected (and no bad solder joint).

Regards

Mark

Offline Kuroro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:34:09 PM »
Hi mark

I resolved the PHY adress reading issue, in fact the problem was caused by a capacitor on the reset line of the PHY , utasker try to read the value meanwhile the PHY is under reset.

Removing the capacitor have resolved the problem.

But i still had some connection problem when i connect directly the board to my computer and i don't have any idea from it come from.

Best regard

Offline BitCoder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »
Hi

I have exact the same problem. We have different target hardware that all use the MCF52233 chip. On each target is different application software implemented that all use uTasker 1.3 SP5. As long as the target is connected to a switch everything works perfect. As soon as the target is connected directly via cross-over cable to a PC the communication hangs when calling a webpage server times in a short period (clicking with the mouse twice a second). I have no idea what the deferens to a switch is (timing or configuration on the PC).

Best regards