Author Topic: M52259 TOWER - TFT display and Temperature/humidity sensor  (Read 22416 times)

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
M52259 TOWER - TFT display and Temperature/humidity sensor
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »
Hi All

Owners of the Freescale M5225X Tower kit with LCD extension may be interested in the following video that I have added showing this kit running the uTasker project with graphical and USB mass storage device interface:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdtRyQ-2IrE

The video also includes a demonstration of temperature and humidity display based on the new SENSIRION SHT21.

Regards

Mark

Offline jezc

• View Profile
Re: M52259 TOWER - TFT display and Temperature/humidity sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:18:28 AM »
Hi Mark,

I've got the MCF52259 Tower kit (no LCD etc - yet!).

Is there support for the Tower in the latest files or will a new SP be required?

I'm trying to get something running between the Tower & the MCF52259 DEMO board...so support for the Tower (with/without other peripherals) would really help!

Cheers,
    Jez

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
Hi Jez

The Tower kit is not supported in the present release (it needs a configuration added and a few changes due to the fact that the backplane capacitance slows the slew rate of some of the PHY signals) - plus of course the TFT driver, if used.

I will send you a link later on to a pre-release Beta version; first I have to make this, but I was already planning to do it due to the fact that there have (strangely) been other requests for this recently - obviously the tower kit is becoming more popular ;-)

Note that the Kirin3 project will run on the tower kit but the Ethernet probably won't without the changes - detecting the PHY is very unreliable without them, as noted above.

Regards

Mark

P.S. The following threads explain some problems and modification needed to be able to do everthing in the demo:
http://forums.freescale.com/t5/68K-ColdFire-reg-Microprocessors/M52259-TOWER-problem-with-reading-PHY/m-p/55918)
http://www.towergeeks.org/forum/topics/usdcard-of-lcd-extension-board

Offline Kuroro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »
Hi mark

I notice that close to the end of the video you plug the tower to the pc with a usb cable and the board is detected as a masse storage device, and it apear that you can see the flash file system and the content of the SD card pluged in it, did i right ?
This functionality is allready available in utasker ?

Thank's best regard

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »
Hi

The USB MSD is available in the latest development versions of the project. It is indeed shown in the video.

However I am not sure of the stability in the Freescale project at the moment (it is quite new and therefore not tested much - the CDC mode is, on the otherhand, successfully used in several projects [Freescale and other chips]).

Regards

Mark

Note: the SD card (FAT32) content is seen but not the internal FLASH (uFileSystem). It should be possible to divide the MSD into multiple partitions so that the SD card occupies one and a different file system (eg. internal, but FAT based and not uFileSystem) occupies another.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:13:55 PM by mark »

Offline Kuroro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:30:51 AM »
Hi want to try the utasker binary demo for the 52259tower, but I don't know what jumper configuration i need to set to make it running,  i made some test but i don't seem to work

best regard

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
Hi

Did you check the links here?
http://forums.freescale.com/t5/68K-ColdFire-reg-Microprocessors/M52259-TOWER-problem-with-reading-PHY/m-p/55918)
http://www.towergeeks.org/forum/topics/usdcard-of-lcd-extension-board

Without a couple of modifications it is not possible to run the TFT and the SD card at the same time.

Regards

Mark

Offline Kuroro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 12:15:03 PM »
Hi mark

I check the link that you provided.

but i have a strange behaviour that was apparently not mentioned in that post, the mosi line of the 52259 did no send any information on the line and remain a vcc, the spi interface should work because i had a signa on spi clk line

Any idea ?, i tkink's that utasker enable the mosi pull up, so i don't understant why i don't had any signal on mosi

Best ragard

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »
Hi

There should always be data on the MOSI line.

I would try isolating the line as close to the processors as possible and checking for short circuits to VDD. I have two Tower Kits and one of them had a short circuit between two backplane signals so don't exclude a possible HW issue.

Regards

Mark

Offline Kuroro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
Hi mark

I finaly make it working with a pull-up resitor on the mosi line.

I testing the system and everything work, but i notice something, the data transfert for read or write from the usb to the sd card is really slow, did they have a way to speed it up ?

Best regard

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »
Hi

The USB interface in mass-storage mode in the demo project is a very new version (first tests) and I think that it is slow due to some errors (i.e not always slow but can be - possibly also some operating errors too). Therefore I don't think that the mass-storage operation is ready for real work on that chip just yet.

The operation in CDC class has been used quite widely and has been successful with the M522XX, but there must be something in the mass-storage class operartion that still needs refining.

In comparison, the mass-storage operation on LPC2xxx and LPC17xx devices has been working well, so it is probably something in the HW specific driver that causes the difference.

Regards

Mark

Offline ReySinTrono

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
Hi Mark,

Any example code for USB mass-storage mode with uTasker?

Thanks.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 10:54:18 PM »
Hi

Here is a pre-release Beta version of the M522XX project including Tower kit support:
http://www.uTasker.com/software/V1.4/uTaskerV1.4_M52259TWR_Beta.zip [30.11.2010]

The password to use is the same as for the V1.4 project.

1) It is configured to run on the Tower kit with M52259 - the LCD and SD card are active
2) There are CW V7.1 and V7.2 Projects in the Codewarrior project folder
3) The simulator folder includes VS 6.0 and VS 2010 projects which allow full simulation of the project, including SD card and TFT display with touch
4) There are various test defines in the project (these usually start with MJB). These are not removed from Beta versions so that they can be activated to quickly test new functions etc. Most will be disabled and so they should not disturb.
5) The Beta includes only the V1.4 demo project and not boot loader projects.

See the TWR Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdtRyQ-2IrE

Regards

Mark

Offline ReySinTrono

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for example. It's nice, but is possible with utakers to control usb mass storage (usb host controller)? Any example?

My project should use 2 pen drives to extend the coldifre internal flash and upload video files to ftp.

Regards.

Note: Sorry for my English.

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 09:05:08 PM »
Hi

Pens (memory sticks) require the controller to be in host mode and the CPU needs to control the content (usually FAT32).

The uTasker project includes utFAT which can be used for the FAT 32 part but it presently doesn't have USB host mode.

You can look at the Freescale examples since they include USB host driver - together with their software fremework memory sticks can be used.

Regards

Mark