Author Topic: UART menu  (Read 12924 times)

Offline emb_sys_dev

• View Profile
UART menu
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »
Hi All,

With reference to Kevin's post here :
http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21981&start=0&sid=8176dd08b1ff780d08d1bf52b6456e79
Are the UART connection details ( baud rate etc. ) specified anywhere in any pdf ? I am using a terminal program Terminal ( Br@y ) but I could not get the menu which Kevin mentions.
Just to check I used another small program which sends a string "Hello World" and it works fine.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Thomas

Offline emb_sys_dev

• View Profile
Re: UART menu
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 11:23:40 AM »
I am using a 12MHx XTAL on my board.

Thomas

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 01:37:24 PM »
Hi

The UART settings can be checked via TELNET. Go to the the menu 2 "Configure Serial Interface". Then enter "show_config".
The default is:

Baud = 115200
8 Bits
NONE parity
1 stop bit(s)
Flow control XON
High water 80%
Low water 20%

When the board is powered up it sends "Hello, world... LPC2XXX" to the only serial interface on the board. This required a cross-over cable as you probably know if you have used the UART before.

Also the setting is seen on the serial web page:

The configuration can be modified and saved as required.

Regards

Mark

Offline emb_sys_dev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »
Hello Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Actually it's a board made by my colleague which we are bringing up.So I am not 100% sure the hardware is working right.
The board is based on the Olimex LPC2478 board.So far I have the ISP and UART working.Now I wish to check the ethernet functionality.

When the board is powered up it sends "Hello, world... LPC2XXX" to the only serial interface on the board. This required a cross-over cable as you probably know if you have used the UART before.
 I am using the same COM port (UART0) and the same cable which is used to flash the software with flash magic.I hope you are meaning the UART (com port) cable and not the ethernet cross over cable ?

Flow control XON
High water 80%
Low water 20%

Hyperterminal kind of terminals don't seem to have this settings.Can you clarify this please ?

Are there any documents which explain how to set up the TCP/IP on the PC so as to be able to see the page ?
The spark fun discussion implies that the board needs to be setup through the UART before data can be received by the browser.

Regards
Thomas

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »
Hi Thomas

Yes I meant cross-over RS232 cable.

The XON/XOFF flow control is not important since it is only used when there is a lot of data and the other side needs to be informed to stop for a while. The settings 20% and 80% are the settings used by XON/XOFF on the board (when the buffer gets 80% full it will request a stop and it will then release this stop state when the buffer empties to 20% - not relevant for Hyperterminal. (Full details here: http://www.utasker.com/docs/uTasker/uTaskerUART.PDF ).

I think that you will get all details in the tutorial: http://www.utasker.com/docs/LPC23XX/uTaskerV1.4_LPC2XXX.PDF

FTP and HTTP are enabled by default so don't need to be configured. The web pages can be loaded by using the bat file in the web page directory - just make sure it matches the IP address of the board.
The default IP address is 192.168.03 and if this is suitable you can test pinging the board and, when successful, browse to it at the same address.
If the IP address (and sub-net mask don't suit you can change these via UART or else adjust the PC settings for a test)

Regards

Mark

Offline emb_sys_dev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
Hello Mark,

Thanks for your replies.
One query,in your pdf,on pg 14 there is a red warning that the code will hang if there is no GLCD connected.
I do not have an LCD connected on my system,is that why there I am not getting anything on the UART ?

With regards
Thomas

Offline mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • uTasker
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 12:32:41 AM »
Hi Thomas

"..code will hang if there is no GLCD connected".

This depends. If you are using the binary on the "SW/Live demos" page it configures the external memory interface for the TFT and then starts scanning - I don't think that it will be a problem if the TFT is not actually attached. If you are compiling the code using the demo project you can control this as required.

The warning is mainly for when the project happens to be configured to use a GLCD (graphical LCD and not TFT) which needs to be configured via ports when it starts. In this case it can hang while waiting for this to be initialised when it is missing. This is however not the case for the binary on the "SW/Live demos" page.

If you have different hardware it is certainly best to use the complete project and build to be sure it is correct for the board - the binary is specifically for the Olimex LPC2478-STK and may have a problem on other boards (but I don't know for sure).

Regards

Mark